Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Marc Salvetti <sa...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/22 13:33:43 UTC

Gantt graph using Fins ?

Hi,

i would like to know if Fins has the possibility to generate gantt charts
from an xml input ?
I noticed it's possible on the JFree website but i didn't see any mention of
it in the fins doc.

Btw, the fins page seems to have moved to
http://new.cocoondev.org/main/117/29.html but the cocoon website and the doc
page of fins http://www.sidimar.ipzs.it/fins012/docs/changes.html still
reference an old project home page
http://www.cocoondev.org/projects/fins.html

+ the doc page of fins is last published in 2004. Is the project still alive
?

Does someone know about it ?

Thanks,

Marc

Re: Gantt graph using Fins ?

Posted by Luca Morandini <lm...@ieee.org>.
Marc Portier wrote:

> Marc Salvetti wrote:
>
>>Do you have an idea of how long before the refactoring is released ?
>>
> I was planning to put what I have up on svn this week (although current
> agenda might make that slide into weekend or early next week)
>
> Just to get expectation managament right:
>
> - strictly speaking 'refactoring' isn't the appropriate word, since my
> current angle of attack is NOT maintaining any of the current
> functionality...

Vive la revolution !

> - more bluntly: it's in current form a drastic step back in terms of
> functionality

Ok, let's get this straight:
1) the Fins committers aknowledged the current codebase was not suitable
as a foundation for the whole JFreeChart functionality to be included
(during these years, JFreeChart has changed *a lot*).
2) Marc came up with his "massive refactoring" proposal, which would
take some time to bear some fruits, but will make easier to extend Fins.
3) There is another proposal from Antonio Fiol Bonnìn, using a more
elaborate approach involving the extraction of information from the
Javadoc of JFreeChart, but I haven't heard recent news of Antonio's
proposal.

> - so it's pretty much a 'from scratch' go at it in separate packages
> next to the existing stuff. As soon as this matures, gets
> feature-complete, and we create some transition xsl's / or at least
> transition guides we can get into deprecating the existing approach.

Yep: the current user base deserves a transition path.

> (and consider subscribing to the list and joining in on the fun)

Did I forget this exortation ? My bad... but here you are: we badly need
new blood in Fins ! Join Fins and see the world (ahem... that was for
the US Navy, but you got the idea).

Re: Gantt graph using Fins ?

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Marc Salvetti wrote:
>     Yes it is alive, but the development has been limited to some patches
>     for the past year and half. Anyway, Marc is through a massive
>     refactoring of the codebase... hopefully laying the foundation for the
>     whole of JFreeChart to be included in Fins.
>

> Thanks, that's great news !
>
> Do you have an idea of how long before the refactoring is released ?

I was planning to put what I have up on svn this week (although current
agenda might make that slide into weekend or early next week)

Just to get expectation managament right:

- strictly speaking 'refactoring' isn't the appropriate word, since my
current angle of attack is NOT maintaining any of the current
functionality...

- more bluntly: it's in current form a drastic step back in terms of
functionality

- so it's pretty much a 'from scratch' go at it in separate packages
next to the existing stuff. As soon as this matures, gets
feature-complete, and we create some transition xsl's / or at least
transition guides we can get into deprecating the existing approach.

- so 'major redesign' is probably a better wording to it, the main
attempt is indeed to change the groundwork so it's easier to follow up
on the jfc features in different releases (including enabling your own
custom exploitation of those).

That and taking up some other lingering feature requests, please check
the recent discussions to get a better feeling of what is going on
  http://lists.cocoondev.org/pipermail/fins-dev/2006-March/thread.html

(and consider subscribing to the list and joining in on the fun)

-marc=

Re: Gantt graph using Fins ?

Posted by Luca Morandini <lm...@ieee.org>.
Marc Salvetti wrote:
>     Yes it is alive, but the development has been limited to some patches
>     for the past year and half. Anyway, Marc is through a massive
>     refactoring of the codebase... hopefully laying the foundation for the
>     whole of JFreeChart to be included in Fins.
>

> Thanks, that's great news !
>
> Do you have an idea of how long before the refactoring is released ?

Marc Portier is doing that: better to ask him ;)

Re: Gantt graph using Fins ?

Posted by Marc Salvetti <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Gantt graph using Fins ?

Posted by Luca Morandini <lm...@ieee.org>.
Marc Salvetti wrote:

> i would like to know if Fins has the possibility to generate gantt
> charts from an xml input ?
> I noticed it's possible on the JFree website but i didn't see any
> mention of it in the fins doc.

Not yet, only a subset of JFreeCHart capabilities are supported.

> Btw, the fins page seems to have moved to
> http://new.cocoondev.org/main/117/29.html but the cocoon website and the
> doc page of fins http://www.sidimar.ipzs.it/fins012/docs/changes.html
> <http://www.sidimar.ipzs.it/fins012/docs/changes.html> still reference
> an old project home page http://www.cocoondev.org/projects/fins.html

Hmmm... it has to be fixed: thanks for pointing this out.

Yes: fins-dev@lists.cocoondev.org