Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com> on 2005/04/14 03:27:36 UTC

Re: [OT] question about open source data base selection

After doing a little research on this I still wasn't getting a clear
picture, so I wrote to someone at MySQL AB (I found an e-mail address
for someone who seemed to welcome questions on the Web). I presented
what I thought were some typical scenarios of MySQL use (such as JDBC
applications and desktop apps that used an embedded database) and asked
him to please identify what the developer's obligations or
responsibilities would be in each scenario with regard to licensing. I
also told him I would like to share his answers with people on this list
if he didn't mind. So far (after two days) I haven't received a response.

The one paragraph I have found that sticks out to me is this one
(http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/opensource-license.html):

"Free use for those who never copy, modify or distribute. As long as you
never distribute the MySQL Software in any way, you are free to use it
for powering your application, irrespective of whether your application
is under GPL license or not."

I get the feeling that the GPL restrictions (at least in MySQL's case)
are meant for those who are taking the database and specializing it for
their business (by altering or extending the source code) not just
merely using it to power the data access layer of a site architecture
(or even a desktop application with an embedded model -- but it depends
on what they mean by "distribute"; On another note, what if you had a
proprietary "system" that used a central MySQL server, but was meant to
be set up on many small networks?). To me that paragraph means you can
build a proprietary application that "uses MySQL as the database"
without having to buy a commercial license from MySQL.

You might say "that's obvious", but it seems to me like MySQL has been
moving toward a more restrictive model lately . . .

Someone please correct me if you understand their policy differently.

Erik

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
Thanks. Good advice. But in a situation where there is no access to a
"legal team" (for lack of resources), I wonder if it would be smarter to
just take the time to switch to a different free or cheap database that
supports the standard JDBC transaction isolation levels (recommendations
with regard to licensing -- looking for BSD-style obviously -- are
appreciated). Seems weird though to be concerned when there are so many
of those PHP/MySQL sites out there, many of which might be free but
certainly would be considered proprietary. But then again, those
probably are less likely to raise any eyebrows. And you are right, words
like "extends" and "distribution" don't mean the same thing in a public
court as they do in a circle of programmers.

Erik

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "M. Bitner" <mo...@gmail.com>.
<snip>The "modification" clause is why many businesses do not use GPL
software. They can't modify the source, even for internal use, without
their own work being encumbered by the GPL.
</snip>

The GPL only kicks in when you are distributing. You can freely modify
GPL'd software for your own use, even in a business setting.

The following is from the FSF's FAQ:

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted
to the public?

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version. You are
free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever
releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies),
too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally
without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the
GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the
program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in
certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to
release it is up to you.

Re: [OT] question about open source data base selection

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
Thanks Ted. Yes, I dig the BSD-style license, and I sure am glad Apache
is aligned that way. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a database on par
with MySQL under a BSD-style license, but PostgreSQL is at least
something I think I can work with. The GPL style license is just as
important to have around, but to me, developing under it is more for
those who can afford it (those who have a company sponsoring their open
source work that wants to invest in the community). For a guy like me,
trying to make it as a freelancer, GPL just doesn't fit the bill. How
could I make any money that way? And yet if it weren't for GPL products,
I wouldn't be here at all. I'm a die-hard Linux guy, and I think the
Linux kernel is a great example of what GPL can accomplish.

Maybe I will start writing a database and release it under a
hybrid-style license. You have to give up 5 out of every 10 secrets. :)
I've been wanting to do some C++ instead of Java anyway. :) Anyone want
to sponsor me?

Erik

http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/linux-kernel-cost.html

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
> If you are distributing a product to others that includes GPL
> software, and you don't want to put your own work under the GPL, the
> end-user has to download the GPL package separately (e.g. MySQL) and
> then plug it in. (And you also have to be careful about how the
> plugging in process works.) If you distribute the product as a
> ready-to-go bundle, then the viral aspects of the GPL kick in, and
> your package must be GPL too. :(
>
> -Ted.

Not strictly true.

You cannot distribute it as a single program.  But you can distribute it
together.

Take a java web-app using mysql.

You can compile it and build a war (excluding the jdbc driver).  This
program is therefore NOT including any GPL code (as long as you havnt used
any elsewhere), and not affected by the GPL license.

If you distribute it on a cd, with mysql and the jdbc jar on the cd, then
you are not breaking the rules, as the programs are separate. See:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

You could probably get away with writing install scripts that install your
package, the mysql package, then install the extra jar.

Note that once the programs are combined again, they would break the rules
if distributed again with the jar file intact.

Daniel.

Re: [OT] question about open source data base selection

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.