Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "sanjeev.x.verma" <sa...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/08 01:13:46 UTC

NullPointerException in org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFRichTextString.getLengthOfFormattingRun

Gurus:

While executing the autoSizeColumn method of the XSSFSheet in my code (using
POI-3.7), I am getting a NPE. The stack trace is as below:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFRichTextString.getLengthOfFormattingRun(XSSFRichTextString.java:334)
	at
org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.helpers.ColumnHelper.getColumnWidth(ColumnHelper.java:370)
	at
org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFSheet.autoSizeColumn(XSSFSheet.java:337)
	at
org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFSheet.autoSizeColumn(XSSFSheet.java:320)
	at
com.xxx.yyyy.precalc.server.SpreadSheetMaker.formatDataSheet(SpreadSheetMaker.java:329)
	at
com.xxx.yyyy.precalc.server.SpreadSheetMaker.createSpreadsheetForUpdate(SpreadSheetMaker.java:274)
	at
com.xxx.yyyy.precalc.server.SpreadSheetMaker.getSpreadSheet(SpreadSheetMaker.java:75)
	at
com.xxx.yyyy.InsertUpdateSpreadsheetServlet.doGet(InsertUpdateSpreadsheetServlet.java:35)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)
	at
	at
	at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
	at
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:235)
	at
	at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:190)
	at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:525)
	at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:92)
	at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityContextEstablishmentValve.process(SecurityContextEstablishmentValve.java:126)
	at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityContextEstablishmentValve.invoke(SecurityContextEstablishmentValve.java:70)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
	at
	at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.jca.CachedConnectionValve.invoke(CachedConnectionValve.java:158)
	at
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:330)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:829)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:598)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

When I looked at the source code of XSSFRichTextString, i see this:

    /**
     * Returns the number of characters this format run covers.
     *
     * @param index     the index of the formatting run
     * @return  the number of characters this format run covers
     */
    public int getLengthOfFormattingRun(int index) {
        if(st.sizeOfRArray() == 0) return length();

        for(int i = 0; i < st.sizeOfRArray(); i++){
            CTRElt r = st.getRArray(i);
            if(i == index) return r.getT().length();          //<<<This is
where the NPE is thrown
        }
        return -1;
    }

Looking at this code, I am assuming the the object "r"obtained in the line
above the offending code is null, thereby the NPE on the line below. Can we
add a null check on the if condition, like this:

            if(r != null && i == index) return r.getT().length();
//<<<Add a null check for "r"

will this solution work? Not having looked at the deeper levels, i cannot be
certain, so will appreciate inputs.

Or, am I doing something wrong that needs to be fixed? If so, please let me
know.

Thanks for looking!

Re: NullPointerException in org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFRichTextString.getLengthOfFormattingRun

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, sanjeev.x.verma wrote:
>            CTRElt r = st.getRArray(i);
>            if(r != null
>                  && r.getT() != null
>                  && i == index) return r.getT().length();    //<<<Null
> check here - "r.getT()" was returning null.

I'm not sure why r.getT() would return null, so we'll need to see the file
to be sure

Nick

Re: NullPointerException in org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFRichTextString.getLengthOfFormattingRun

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, sanjeev.x.verma wrote:
> Since the exception was being thrown while generating a excel file from
> a datasource, I am afraid i do not have a file that you could use as a
> test case.

Could you generate the file without the autosize step, then share that?

Nick

Re: NullPointerException in org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFRichTextString.getLengthOfFormattingRun

Posted by "sanjeev.x.verma" <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hey Nick, thanks for the quick reply. After a few hit and trials, I am able
to get rid of the NPE by making the following change to
"XSSFRichTextString.java".

    /**
     * Returns the number of characters this format run covers.
     *
     * @param index     the index of the formatting run
     * @return  the number of characters this format run covers
     */
    public int getLengthOfFormattingRun(int index) {
        if(st.sizeOfRArray() == 0) return length();

        for(int i = 0; i < st.sizeOfRArray(); i++){
            CTRElt r = st.getRArray(i);
            if(r != null
                  && r.getT() != null
                  && i == index) return r.getT().length();    //<<<Null
check here - "r.getT()" was returning null.
        }
        return -1;
    }

Since the exception was being thrown while generating a excel file from a
datasource, I am afraid i do not have a file that you could use as a test
case. I will try and run autoSizeColumn() on the generated file with the
original code and see if that throws an exception. Will let you know.

Thanks again!

Re: NullPointerException in org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFRichTextString.getLengthOfFormattingRun

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, sanjeev.x.verma wrote:
> While executing the autoSizeColumn method of the XSSFSheet in my code (using
> POI-3.7), I am getting a NPE. The stack trace is as below:
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at
> org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFRichTextString.getLengthOfFormattingRun(XSSFRichTextString.java:334)

Can you create a new bug in bugzilla, and upload a file that shows the
problem? We can then use that to test the fix, and going forward include a
unit test to ensure we don't break it again in the future!

Thanks
Nick