Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Fazal Syed Ali <sy...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/31 16:00:22 UTC

Generating Multiple Summary Reports from command-line ant task in JMeter

Hi Everyone,

I have multiple test cases in my JMeter test plan and have a summary
report attached to each test case. My test plan looks like this:

TestPlan

    |---TestCase1
    |        |
    |        |------Summary Report1

    |---TestCase2
    |        |
    |        |------Summary Report2

               .
               .
               .
I am running the above test through the command line ant task and I
just get one consolidated report(.jtl file)for all the test cases.

Is there a way to generate multiple reports(each report for a test
case) through the JMeter ant task?

Also, is there a way I can save all of the summary reports in .csv
format instead of .jtl format?

Any help on this will be very highly appreciated.

Thank you very much for going through this email.

Thanks,
Fazal

Re: Generating Multiple Summary Reports from command-line ant task in JMeter

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Your mail was a good sample :-)
Observe the text below your inquiry.

Cheers,
Felix

Posted by kblearner <sa...@citi.com>.
Hi Felix,

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
I.e., the problem of generating CSV instead of XML data. Multiple Thread
Groups is probably a no go.

Sorry for spamming.

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.

Posted by Fazal Syed Ali <sy...@gmail.com>.
Hey Felix,

I tried searching for changing jmeter.properties file to accommodate
multiple test plans, but couldn't find it.

If you remember how this can be done, please let me know.
Alternatively, if you have the thread in your inbox, please pass it
on.

Appreciate your help. Thank you very much!

-Fazal

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de> wrote:
> Hi "kblearner",
>
> I've said it before and I'll say it again: Messages w/o quotes are very
> confusing on the mailing list. Not everyone uses this list via nabble.
> Please include quotes in your replies.
>
> Secondly, I suspect that the ant task stores results using the -l switch
> to jmeter. This is supposedly the same as a Simple Data Writer inserted
> at Test Plan level. Thus the need to split up Thread Groups into
> respective Test Plans to get respective results.
>
> This implicit Listener cannot be configured in the Test Plan. Instead, a
> couple of settings in the jmeter.properties file need tweaking. There
> was a thread about this just that recently, it should be easy enough to
> find.
>
> HTH,
> Felix
>
> On 08/31/10 16:10, kblearner wrote:
>>
>> Hi Fazal,
>> The mapping goes like this :
>> Single Test Plan <-->Single JTL file
>>
>> You will get different reports for each test case, as per your
>> configuration, but in a single JTL file.
>>
>> Regarding .csv format, select the CSV configuration checkbox after clicking
>> on Configure button for a listener (added to the Thread Group).  Make sure
>> to do this before running your test.

Syed Fazal Ali

Re: Generating Multiple Summary Reports from command-line ant task in JMeter

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Hi "kblearner",

Posted by Fazal Syed Ali <sy...@gmail.com>.
All,

I have found out a way to save multiple summary reports while running JMeter
in non-gui(command mode).

Here is how you do it:

1. Attach a summary report to each thread group in your test plan.
2. Give the name and path of the files you need to store the results to.
This can be done by clicking the browse button.
3. Ignore the error message saying that the file isn't present.
4. Perform steps #2 and 3 fore each thread group in your test plan.
5. Run JMeter in non-gui mode without using the ant task:
        jmeter -n -t <path_to_the_testcase>

Wait till jmeter completes running the test and woila you can see all of the
summary reports in the paths you gave earlier!!!

Thanks,
Fazal

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:52 AM, kblearner <sa...@citi.com>wrote:

> >Hi Fazal,
> >Am not aware of any plugin that can divide a single JTL report based on
> different test cases(you mean thread group's, I hope).
> >

> >However, there'r few plugin's available that generate JMeter results in
> different format:
> >
> > Refer my post here:
> >
> http://jmeter.512774.n5.nabble.com/Jmeter-Reporting-tt2652365.html#a2798082
> > Jmeter plugins
> >

> >On the other hand, you could have a Java program parse the XML file (i.e.
> JTL) and generate some kinda report.  May be use some JUnit API for report
> generation from XML.
> >
> >To generate a CSV report, use the configure option in Jmeter listener.
>
> Cheers.

Syed Fazal Ali

Re: Generating Multiple Summary Reports from command-line ant task in JMeter

Posted by kblearner <sa...@citi.com>.

Posted by Fazal Syed Ali <sy...@gmail.com>.
Hey Samarjeet,

I really appreciate your quick response. I have a follow-up question.
Do you know of any plug-in(s) that can be used to parse the jtl file
and extract the results of different test cases into different
reports?

Thanks,
Fazal

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM, kblearner <sa...@citi.com> wrote:

> Hi Fazal,
> The mapping goes like this :
> Single Test Plan <-->Single JTL file
>
> You will get different reports for each test case, as per your
> configuration, but in a single JTL file.
>
> Regarding .csv format, select the CSV configuration checkbox after clicking
> on Configure button for a listener (added to the Thread Group).  Make sure
> to do this before running your test.
>
> Cheers...

Syed Fazal Ali

Re: Generating Multiple Summary Reports from command-line ant task in JMeter