Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Sri Sankaran <Sr...@sas.com> on 2002/10/02 15:51:49 UTC

[Nested] Getting value from parent during iteration

Using Struts 1.0.2 and Nested extension

The value attribute doesn't support the nested syntax of walking up a tree a la "../foo".  How is this result achieved?

In my JSP I have the following

<nested:root name="dependencies">
  <nested:iterate property="types">
    <nested:equal property="name" value="../currentType">
        Do stuff
    </nested:equal>
  </nested:iterate>
</nested:root>

class DepBean {  // available with session key 'dependencies'
  private String currentType;
  private Collection types;
  public String getCurrentType() { return currentType; }
  public Collection getTypes() { return types; }
}

public class DepType {
  private String name;
  public String getName() { return name; }
}

Even if I resort to specifying the value using a scriptlet, how can I get at the DepBean without having

<%
  DepBean foo = (DepBean)session.getAttribute("dependencies");
  String currentType = foo.getCurrentType();
%>

and changing the <nested:equal> to

    <nested:equal property="name" value="<%=currentType%>">

Is this my only option?

Sri

RE: [Nested] Getting value from parent during iteration

Posted by Phase Web and Multimedia <ma...@phase.ws>.
This might be a suggested enhancement ala propertyValue="../foo" for the
nested:equal and all like comparative tags. Post it on the dev board.  I
could see where it would be useful for sure.

Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P (406) 862-2245
F (406) 862-0354