Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Ed Yakabosky <ey...@linkedin.com.INVALID> on 2016/02/12 00:43:10 UTC

You're Invited: Apache Kafka Meetup on Tuesday, February 23 at LinkedIn's campus in Mountain View, CA

Hi Apache Kafka Open Source distros,

LinkedIn invites you to attend an Apache Kafka
<http://kafka.apache.org/> meetup on
Tuesday, February 23 at 6PM at LinkedIn's campus in Mountain View, CA.

Here's are the details:

   - We have 3 great talks scheduled:

   - *Loose Coupling with the Jitney Project* (Alex Midon & Krishna
      Puttaswamy, Airbnb)

      *As the number of services in your architecture explodes, how can you
      maintain loose coupling? As new code is deployed many times a day, how do
      data scientists and developers collaborate to model, collect,
and maintain
      high quality user activity data? At Airbnb, to solve these
challenges, the
      Jitney project leverages Kafka to propagate Thrift events. *
      - *Large Messages in Kafka (*Becket (Jiangjie) Qin, LinkedIn)
      *Like many other messaging systems, Kafka has put limit on the
      maximum message size. User will fail to produce a message if it is too
      large. This limit makes a lot of sense and people usually send to Kafka a
      reference link which refers a large message stored somewhere
else. However,
      in some scenarios, it would be good to be able to send messages through
      Kafka without external storage. At LinkedIn, we have a few use cases that
      can benefit from such feature. This talk covers our solution to
send large
      message through Kafka without additional storage.*

      - *SignalFX's Kafka Client* (Rajiv Kurian, SignalFx)

      *Find out why how SignalFx wrote their own Kafka client. We will
      specifically go over the state machine architecture and how we manage to
      stay absolutely zero allocation in the steady state.*
      - We will serve food & drinks but please RSVP here
   <http://www.meetup.com/http-kafka-apache-org/events/228560106/> so that
   we can procure the right amount.

   - We will record / stream the meeting for those who can't join in
   person.  The URL will be posted here
   <http://www.meetup.com/http-kafka-apache-org/events/228560106/> 1-hour
   before the event.

Thank you,