Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Tom Alexandrowicz <so...@kill.us> on 2004/03/15 23:45:19 UTC

soap fault handling on the client side

Hi,

    I'm using your library as a soap client in a project I'm working on.

    I've noticed that there's no code and some TODOs around the handling of
soap faults on the client side.  I've got to handle this for my project.
I'm wondering if you have a plan as to how the handling should work.  That
way, if I followed your plan I maybe you merge the code I write into your
tree.  Anyhow, in case you don't have a plan or answer me in time, I'm
working on my own plan... I'll let you know in a day or so...

    Also, I'm building under VC7.1 (visual studio 2003).  The Axis 1.0
release didn't build under this environment because default values on
functions aren't handled.  So I just pulled your CVS tree about a week ago
and I'm working off that.

    I did notice one bug which doesn't occur under VC6 because the
implementations of stl::string::c_str() between VC7.1 and VC6 are different.
Under VC7.1 c_str() returns a copy of the string's buffer.  That copy is
allocated on the stack and gets destroyed when the calling function returns.
So you the way c_str() was being called in HttpTransport::operator >> was
broken.  I'd suggest the solution I used, but it isn't very elegant or
efficient...  It looks like this area of the system is under current
development anyhow...

Other than than these little issue, the library's working great for me...
you've done a great job!

Cheers,

Tom