Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/11 17:14:55 UTC

[DRAFT] Apache Arrow board report April 2018

Apache Arrow is a cross-language development platform for in-memory data. It
specifies a standardized language-independent columnar memory format for flat
and hierarchical data, organized for efficient analytic operations on modern
hardware. It also provides computational libraries and zero-copy streaming
messaging and interprocess communication. Languages currently supported include
C, C++, Go, Java, JavaScript, Python, Ruby, and Rust.

## Issues:

There are no issues requiring board attention at this time

## Activity:
 - We received a donation of a Go implementation since the last report

## Health report:

Project is very healthy with a growing developer and user community.
Overall development activity has increased since the prior quarter
with the addition of two new programming languages (Go, Rust) to the
project.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 22 PMC members.
 - New PMC members:
    - Phillip Cloud was added to the PMC on Thu Mar 15 2018
    - Philipp Moritz was added to the PMC on Thu Mar 15 2018

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 31 committers.
 - New commmitters:
    - Antoine Pitrou was added as a committer on Tue Apr 03 2018
    - Brian Hulette was added as a committer on Mon Feb 12 2018
    - Robert Nishihara was added as a committer on Mon Feb 19 2018

## Releases:

 - 0.9.0 was released on Mon Mar 19 2018
 - JS-0.3.0 was released on Wed Feb 21 2018
 - JS-0.3.1 was released on Fri Mar 16 2018

## JIRA activity:

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Arrow board report April 2018

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
Thanks Wes and Uwe. I added a couple more activity items around the build
work and the intention to faster Rust releases. Initial posted report
below. Let me know if you think we should wordsmith further.

Apache Arrow is a cross-language development platform for in-memory data. It
specifies a standardized language-independent columnar memory format for
flat
and hierarchical data, organized for efficient analytic operations on modern
hardware. It also provides computational libraries and zero-copy streaming
messaging and interprocess communication. Languages currently supported
include
C, C++, Go, Java, JavaScript, Python, Ruby, and Rust.

## Issues:

There are no issues requiring board attention at this time

## Activity:
 - We received a donation of a Go implementation since the last report
 - New contributors have started developing native Rust bindings. Given its
   early development, community will likely start by doing regular
Rust-only
   releases at a higher velocity than primary releases (similar to JS)
 - Given the number of different artifacts developed, the build and release
   complexity has gotten too difficult (too many manual steps). The
   community is discussing ways to improve the process to simplify
development.

Posted by "Uwe L. Korn" <uw...@xhochy.com>.