Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Adrian Boston <ab...@cga-canada.org> on 2003/02/05 00:45:26 UTC

RE: Simple example / XML / XSLT In production

Ah, thanks for the linx.

I was debating xml, xslt versus jsp with a colleague. He noted that
although xml, xslt works well in a divided graphics/analyst/developer
big team, it eventually was scrapped for JSP. The lack of object
hierarchy and polymorphism made changes very difficult.
Can anyone provide tales of xml, xslt in a major production? (sans
company name, of course)

Thanks,

Posted by Robert Simmons <de...@arcor.de>.
Huh? JSP has no object hierarchy. JSP is basically a way to write a servlet
without having to implement the servlet interfaces. In short it is a
shortcut. The end result of JSP is always a servlet (one per JSP page).
XML/XSLT is a totally different paradigm.

In cocoon generators are used to deliver DATA. This data is in XML form.
There is no logic mixed into this data as is the case with JSP. Then The XML
data is transformed (very mathematically) into content. This content can be
HTML, another XML document such as a soap request, WML, PDF and so on.

So, as a matter of fact JSP mixes not only model and view but also model view
AND controller. In the cocoon world the Generators and actions are
controllers. The XML is the model and the view is accomplished through XSLT
transforms. Its the same for XSP. In this case an XSP is translated into, not
a servlet like JSP, but a generator. So even though you write an XSP to
implement some functionality, this XSP is still going to be spitting out XML
which must be transformed into content.

Comparing the two is like comparing a moped to a Ferrari. The cocoon way is
CLEARLY superior for any number of project planning, resource management and
software engineering reasons.

-- Derisor