Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/07/11 22:16:27 UTC

ApacheCon - Uncategorized talks

Yes, me again. Yes, I'm going to keep bugging you right up until
ApacheCon, and then start in on the next one. :-)

There are currently 48 talks that are still uncategorized. This makes it
hard for me to schedule them. And, alas, I need help categorizing them.

For convenience, I've moved these talks all over to the UNCATEGORIZED
tab, and could really use some help putting them in some kind of
coherent categories that I might be able to turn into content tracks.

Thanks.

(By the way, with current space limitations, we could presumably add a
few additional tracks, but each additional track "costs" an extra $5k,
approximately, for the space. I say "costs" because it's more
complicated than that, with waiving a speaker's admission, additional
signage, and so on, but that's a ballpark. However, if scheduling a
particular type of content brings on a particular sponsor who cares
about that content, then it's all good.)

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: ApacheCon - Uncategorized talks

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Just moved an  un-categorised  talk to the Flex track. I was looking a bit lonely in there by myself :-)

Justin

Re: ApacheCon - Uncategorized talks

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> ...There are currently 48 talks that are still uncategorized...

I've had a look, mostly agree with what was in column M, added a few
alternate proposals prefixed with (bd: ...)

-Bertrand

Re: ApacheCon - Uncategorized talks

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 11/07/2014 Rich Bowen wrote:
> There are currently 48 talks that are still uncategorized. This makes it
> hard for me to schedule them. And, alas, I need help categorizing them.

I tried to help but we are now at 49... I had to move back an irrelevant
submission that had been mistakenly inserted in the  OpenOffice tab.

What I noticed by looking at the reviews is that we still have way too
few reviews in some cases. Some talks only have one rating and no
explanation for that rating. So, if we really have to cut half of the
talks, we also need a better coverage. Of course, a typical Apache
committer like me can only express a meaningful opinion on about 10% of
the submissions, so we'd probably need some more reviewers, or ask the
relevant PMC to review the track before publication.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: ApacheCon - Uncategorized talks

Posted by Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu>.

Hi Rich,

On 11/07/14 22:16, Rich Bowen wrote:
> There are currently 48 talks that are still uncategorized. This
> makes it hard for me to schedule them. And, alas, I need help
> categorizing them.
>
> For convenience, I've moved these talks all over to the
> UNCATEGORIZED tab, and could really use some help putting them in
> some kind of coherent categories that I might be able to turn into
> content tracks.

I've added my proposals for categorization in column M. Two observations:

1) I've added two talks to the Lucene/Solr track, which are more
generic search-related. Perhapse we should make this track also for
more generic search-related talks?
2) A couple of talks are about authorization/authentication. Should we
not create a separate track for those? I've categorized them already
as such.

HtH,

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

/My world is revolving around PulseOn and Amdatu/

Luminis Technologies B.V.
J.C. Wilslaan 29
7313 HK   Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 30