Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Smith <sp...@hotmail.com> on 2002/08/19 05:11:36 UTC

tomcat/unix security manager questions

Hi All,

Just wondering if you could help me clarify a few questions I have about
tomcat
and catalina.policy. Im running tomcat 4.0.4 (w/ security manager) with
mod_jk
on solaris with about 300+ users, all of whom can deploy jsp/servlets from
their public_html directory.

A user requirement is that they must is to be able to read/write files in
their
home directory. This is what im a little confused about. I understand I can
put
an entry like:

permission java.io.FilePermission "/home/-", "read,write,delete,execute";"

in catalina.policy, but how does this enable tomcat to write to other user's
home directories (when tomcat is running as a user with minimal privledges)?
Or
must I change permissions on the file to allow the user that is running
tomcat
to write to it (is this the normal practice?).

Also, this is probably more a java question, but do standard unix
permissions
always take precedence over what is set in catalina.policy? (In my
understanding
the unix permissions take precedence, but I just wanted to make sure(please
excuse my java ignorance))

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,

Re: tomcat/unix security manager questions

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Richard Smith wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just wondering if you could help me clarify a few questions I have about
> tomcat
> and catalina.policy. Im running tomcat 4.0.4 (w/ security manager) with
> mod_jk
> on solaris with about 300+ users, all of whom can deploy jsp/servlets
> from their public_html directory.

I have never setup Tomcat to do this, but from reading the docs it looks
like Tomcat instantiates a separate web application context for each user.

> A user requirement is that they must is to be able to read/write files
> in their
> home directory. This is what im a little confused about. I understand I
> can put
> an entry like:
>
> permission java.io.FilePermission "/home/-", "read,write,delete,execute";"

I would never grant the "execute" permission, this allows Tomcat to use
Runtime.exec() to execute shell scripts, etc.!

The above permission w/o execute should be fine.

> in catalina.policy, but how does this enable tomcat to write to other
> user's
> home directories (when tomcat is running as a user with minimal
> privledges)? Or
> must I change permissions on the file to allow the user that is running
> tomcat
> to write to it (is this the normal practice?).

Yes, if you want to allow the user web applications to write and delete
files in their own home directory Tomcat would need r/w file permissions.

This can be done by adding the tomcat user "tomcat" to the group(s) which
your users are members of.  Then setup permissions on the public_html
directory of mode 2775.

> Also, this is probably more a java question, but do standard unix
> permissions
> always take precedence over what is set in catalina.policy? (In my
> understanding
> the unix permissions take precedence, but I just wanted to make sure(please
> excuse my java ignorance))

Yes, unix file/dir ownership and permissions take precedence.