Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Randy Paries <rt...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/07 19:41:04 UTC

One of my boxes, the cluster is not working anymore

Hello,
I need some help.
I rolled out a new version of my web app last night
Stopped and started tomcat and now one of my boxes (they all have the
same webapp) will not attach(if that is the correct term) to the
cluster. I am doing session sharing between three tomcat servers.  I
did not change any of the server.xml stuff
I am running tomcat 5.5.15

Please help ASAP, this is a production box and not sure what to do.

this is from the catalina.out on a working Box.
Jan 7, 2008 4:01:00 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster start
INFO: Cluster is about to start
Jan 7, 2008 4:01:00 AM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter start
INFO: Start ClusterSender at cluster
Catalina:type=Cluster,host=localhost with name
Catalina:type=ClusterSender,host=localhost
Jan 7, 2008 4:01:00 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService start
INFO: Sleeping for 2000 secs to establish cluster membership
Jan 7, 2008 4:01:01 AM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster memberAdded
INFO: Replication member
added:org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastMember[tcp://xxx.xxx.190.3:4001,catalina,xxx.xxx.190.3,4001,
alive=432223]
Jan 7, 2008 4:01:02 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService
registerMBean
INFO: membership mbean registered
(Catalina:type=ClusterMembership,host=localhost)
Jan 7, 2008 4:01:02 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer start
INFO: Cluster FarmWarDeployer started.

this is from the catalina.out on the broken Box.
Jan 7, 2008 12:24:27 PM org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster start
INFO: Cluster is about to start
Jan 7, 2008 12:24:27 PM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter start
INFO: Start ClusterSender at cluster
Catalina:type=Cluster,host=localhost with name
Catalina:type=ClusterSender,host=localhost
Jan 7, 2008 12:24:27 PM org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService start
INFO: Sleeping for 2000 secs to establish cluster membership
Jan 7, 2008 12:24:29 PM org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService
registerMBean
INFO: membership mbean registered
(Catalina:type=ClusterMembership,host=localhost)
Jan 7, 2008 12:24:29 PM org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer start
INFO: Cluster FarmWarDeployer started.
Jan 7, 2008 12:24:31 PM org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager start
INFO: Register manager  to cluster element Host with name localhost
Jan 7, 2008 12:24:31 PM org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager start
INFO: Starting clustering manager at
Jan 7, 2008 12:24:31 PM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager getAllClusterSessions
INFO: Manager []: skipping state transfer. No members active in cluster group.
Jan 7, 2008 12:24:33 PM org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager doLoad
SEVERE: IOException while loading persisted sessions: java.io.EOFException
java.io.EOFException
        at java.io.ObjectInputStream$PeekInputStream.readFully(ObjectInputStream.java:2228)
        at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.readShort(ObjectInputStream.java:2694)
        at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readStreamHeader(ObjectInputStream.java:761)
        at java.io.ObjectInputStream.<init>(ObjectInputStream.java:277)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.CustomObjectInputStream.<init>(CustomObjectInputStream.java:57)
        at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.doLoad(StandardManager.java:361)
        at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.load(StandardManager.java:320)
        at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.start(StandardManager.java:636)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.setManager(ContainerBase.java:431)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.managerConfig(ContextConfig.java:403)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.start(ContextConfig.java:1066)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:261)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4111)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:910)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:873)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:474)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1118)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1020)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1012)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:700)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:275)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)

RE: One of my boxes, the cluster is not working anymore

Posted by Siobhan <si...@ccslink.com>.
To anyone who has successfully used Comet:

I've been trying to use Comet with Tomcat 6.0 for a few weeks now and have
been unsuccessful. I'm so frustrated with the lack of documentation and the
unusable example that was given with Tomcat.

Are there any step-by-step instructions on how to successfully implement a
test program?

-SB

Re: One of my boxes, the cluster is not working anymore

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
download wireshark, and trace udp packets,
there must be something on your system, that is not broadcasting or
receiving multicast packets

Filip

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
yes you should start tc first..
then (if necessary) change VMWare port number
http://www.vmware.com/support/gsx3/doc/manage_portnum_gsx.html

Saludos
Martin

Posted by Randy Paries <rt...@gmail.com>.