Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2004/04/06 23:02:44 UTC

[site] thinking about adding a couple of links from resources

in the light of the recent debate over on licensing about the inability
for java folks to take their jakarta fix in the usual packaged/ported
*nix fashion, i thought i might add links to a couple of well-known
downstream distributors of packages and ports to the resources
(unofficial) section:

http://www.jpackage.org/
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/java.html

comments anyone?

- robert

Re: [site] thinking about adding a couple of links from resources

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, robert burrell donkin
<ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> i thought i might add links to a couple of well-known downstream
> distributors of packages and ports to the resources (unofficial)
> section:
>
> http://www.jpackage.org/
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/java.html

+1

Stefan

Re: [site] thinking about adding a couple of links from resources

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi martin

i'll do my best to present what (seems to me) a complex issue and
currently unresolved by the board.

the question is whether:

1 apache distributions must contain only artifacts licensed under the
ASF 2.0 (unless an exception is granted by the board)

or:

2 whether they may contain ASF compatible binaries that have their own
licenses.

several senior ASF figures were of the opinion that 1 is acceptable
since tarballed ready-to-run releases could be provided by downstream
distributors, packagers and porters and that there is no reason why
java should be treated differently. the problems that this approach
would cause for java applications were pointed out and (i think)
everyone learnt something. brian promised to go away and think about
all the issues.

anyway, one thing which became clear to me is that jakarta could do a
lot more to promote the acceptance of ASF java applications in
mainstream packagers and ports. i think that part of this is to let
users know that there are other options available (as well as the
standard ready-to-run tarballs). that's why i proposed these links.

- robert

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.