Posted to users@royale.apache.org by Roman Isitua <ro...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/22 10:35:55 UTC

apache royale and Node js

I recently stumbled upon the below links

https://apache.github.io/royale-docs/get-started/royale-cli

https://apache.github.io/royale-docs/features/nodejs

It looks pretty interesting. As I look to bring new front end developers to
join my team. Using royale with a  node js compiler might be a good option.
Since most front end developers have no back end experience so tools like
maven, ant might be an obstacle to rapid adoption.

I have the following questions to ask
1. Royale cli integration supports hot deployment. i.e. Listens to the src
folder. When any file changes, it will recompile the app and reload the
browser to show the updated application.)

Is this supported when using maven ? If yes. how ?

It is a major productivity booster.

2. I have started using spectrum UI components. Spectrum is a stand alone
royale library. How can I make the Spectrum.swc available to the royale
node js module ?

I have been a back end developer for most of my career so I only recently
entered the terrain of front end development with html, javascript and css.

Regards,

Re: apache royale and Node js

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Ah. I guess I can publish the SWC on npm. Haven’t considered that.

You can just copy the swc and you should not need to do anything “special”.

Re: apache royale and Node js

Posted by Roman Isitua <ro...@gmail.com>.
From my responses inline.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2022, 12:07 Harbs, <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2022, at 12:35 PM, Roman Isitua <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I recently stumbled upon the below links
>
> https://apache.github.io/royale-docs/get-started/royale-cli
>
> https://apache.github.io/royale-docs/features/nodejs
>
> It looks pretty interesting. As I look to bring new front end developers
> to join my team. Using royale with a  node js compiler might be a good
> option. Since most front end developers have no back end experience so
> tools like maven, ant might be an obstacle to rapid adoption.
>

> I have the following questions to ask
> 1. Royale cli integration supports hot deployment. i.e. Listens to the src
> folder. When any file changes, it will recompile the app and reload the
> browser to show the updated application.)
>
> Is this supported when using maven ? If yes. how ?
>
> It is a major productivity booster.
>

> I’m not sure exactly what’s supported using the cli. It’s a node module.
> I’m not sure how to run node commands from Maven.
>
> Josh is in the processing of adding “watching” features to the Royale
> compiler directly. When he’s done it should be possible to compile an app
> and then as you save changes to your project, an incremental compilation of
> the changes will automatically be run. Since it’ll be a native to the
> compiler, it should run from Maven mcuh as you do today. Not sure about
> Live Reload though. I imagine we’ll have to figure that out when we get
> there...

Roman: This will be a very cool addition.

> 2. I have started using spectrum UI components. Spectrum is a stand alone
> royale library. How can I make the Spectrum.swc available to the royale
> node js module ?
>
> I have been a back end developer for most of my career so I only recently
> entered the terrain of front end development with html, javascript and css.
>

> Spectrum is strictly front-end. It might be possible to use node modules
> which emulate the browser, but I imagine you’ll run into issues.
>
> Why would you want to use Spectrum on the back-end?
>
> For Node projects, I’d expect to stick to Native AS3 and Node APIs — not
> browser ones.

Roman: let me clarify.

I have done a simple helloworld using royale and node. I noticed that it is
possible to use modules like basic and jewel because they are bundled with
the npm packaged distribution of royale.

As Spectrum is not part of the royale distribution since it is a standalone
library. I am just wondering how spectrum can be packaged just like the
others for use in a royale project that uses node instead of maven.

For example, for maven all I had to do was to install it locally using a
script similar to this

mvn install:install-file -Dfile=Spectrum.swc
-DgroupId=com.unhurdle.spectrum -DartifactId=Spectrum -Dversion=0.0.1
-Dpackaging=swc -Dclassifier=js -DcreateChecksum=true

Then register the dependency as a pom. I want to believe it should be
possible to do same with npm.

Re: apache royale and Node js

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.