You are viewing a plain text version of this content. The canonical link for it is here.
Posted to dev@oozie.apache.org by Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2011/09/15 07:55:20 UTC

Pending Oozie 3.1 release in Apache

Hi,
During our last stage of the release in github, we postponed the formal release due to transition and some legal issue with Yahoo SGA. However, the code was already checked in. In addition, at Yahoo, the code is being QE certified and in GA.

As planned, we want to create our first release at Apache within next week. There is a quite a few review requests pending for important fixes too. We can't commit those unless we are done with the release.

Due to this urgency, we might not follow the full Dev process in this first release. Like planning and execution of full RE process. However, we will follow those in the next release.


I will shortly send a list of issues that we addressed in 3.1 release. More details will be discussed soon.

Although our dev process will be short-circuited, we will follow the Apace process such as Apache compliant code/tarball and voting to finalize.

oozie-committers@ -- Please don't commit any new code now.

Regards,
Mohammad

Re: Pending Oozie 3.1 release in Apache

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Mohammad,
>
> What is the urgency for doing a release? This does not affect the fact you
> are using Oozie from  a given commit (which we could tag without doing a
> release).
>
> I like the idea of doing a release soon, but I'd like to put togethe the
> bylaws and release process, so we can tune things up after the learnings of
> using them in a release.
>
> Thoughts?

+1 to what Alejandro is saying. Part of the difficulty in releasing our first
Apache incubating bits of Oozie will be cleaning stuff up so that rat and
Apache gods are happy with the content. This might take some time.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Pending Oozie 3.1 release in Apache

Posted by Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com>.
In Yahoo, we have released it  but there is no equivalent open source release.

The best solution would be to move the code to Apache a week later. However, the Yahoo legal had approved the code earlier and after that changing the code in yahoo-git was not legal any more. Therefore we stopped the release process then.

I had a chat with Chris (our mentor) about this at that time. We agreed to do it as a first step in Apache.

Btw, I'm not asking to short-circuited everything. The RAT compliant part of code is already done. The next steps could also be followed if we all work together.

We can start discussing those steps soon.

Regards,
Mohammad








________________________________
From: Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>
To: oozie-dev@incubator.apache.org; Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: Pending Oozie 3.1 release in Apache

Mohammad,

What is the urgency for doing a release? This does not affect the fact you
are using Oozie from  a given commit (which we could tag without doing a
release).

I like the idea of doing a release soon, but I'd like to put togethe the
bylaws and release process, so we can tune things up after the learnings of
using them in a release.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Alejandro

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> During our last stage of the release in github, we postponed the formal
> release due to transition and some legal issue with Yahoo SGA. However, the
> code was already checked in. In addition, at Yahoo, the code is being QE
> certified and in GA.
>
> As planned, we want to create our first release at Apache within next week.
> There is a quite a few review requests pending for important fixes too. We
> can't commit those unless we are done with the release.
>
> Due to this urgency, we might not follow the full Dev process in this first
> release. Like planning and execution of full RE process. However, we will
> follow those in the next release.
>
>
> I will shortly send a list of issues that we addressed in 3.1 release. More
> details will be discussed soon.
>
> Although our dev process will be short-circuited, we will follow the Apace
> process such as Apache compliant code/tarball and voting to finalize.
>
> oozie-committers@ -- Please don't commit any new code now.
>
> Regards,
> Mohammad

Re: Pending Oozie 3.1 release in Apache

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Mohammad,

What is the urgency for doing a release? This does not affect the fact you
are using Oozie from  a given commit (which we could tag without doing a
release).

I like the idea of doing a release soon, but I'd like to put togethe the
bylaws and release process, so we can tune things up after the learnings of
using them in a release.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Alejandro

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> During our last stage of the release in github, we postponed the formal
> release due to transition and some legal issue with Yahoo SGA. However, the
> code was already checked in. In addition, at Yahoo, the code is being QE
> certified and in GA.
>
> As planned, we want to create our first release at Apache within next week.
> There is a quite a few review requests pending for important fixes too. We
> can't commit those unless we are done with the release.
>
> Due to this urgency, we might not follow the full Dev process in this first
> release. Like planning and execution of full RE process. However, we will
> follow those in the next release.
>
>
> I will shortly send a list of issues that we addressed in 3.1 release. More
> details will be discussed soon.
>
> Although our dev process will be short-circuited, we will follow the Apace
> process such as Apache compliant code/tarball and voting to finalize.
>
> oozie-committers@ -- Please don't commit any new code now.
>
> Regards,
> Mohammad