Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2013/02/07 20:15:15 UTC

[VOTE] 3.1B2

So, the second Beta is ready and can be found at [1] in its Maven form and at [2] as source and binary assemblies. Please evaluate the release and cast your votes.

Since the docs are still work in progress, I decided not to make it an RC release, but I think we are getting there.

Thanks,
Andrus

[1] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecayenne-200/
[2] http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.1B2/

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Good news - we've fully confirmed the issue to be unrelated to this release [3], and we have binding votes to conclude the vote and publish the release. I am adding my +1 here too. So the vote tally:

Ari Maniatis +1
Tore Halset +1
John Huss +1
Andrus Adamchik +1

Congratulations on the release! I will push the artifacts (probably today) and will prepare the announcement (probably tomorrow).

Thanks,
Andrus

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-1795

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Tore Halset <ha...@pvv.ntnu.no>.
+1

examined the mac bundle, run it with the test suite for our cayenne-based product. We are already using almost the same (up to and including CAY-1741) in production.

Regards,
Tore.

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by John Huss <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1  Looks good to me.

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Resuming the vote..

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Dzmitry Kazimirchyk <dk...@gmail.com>.
 From what I was able to find now it seems like it is related to

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
It is still on my To Do List, but just haven't had time yet.  It will most
likely be this weekend before I can get to it.

Sorry,

mrg

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hey Cayenne PMC'ers,

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 8/02/13 6:15am, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> So, the second Beta is ready and can be found at [1] in its Maven form and at [2] as source and binary assemblies. Please evaluate the release and cast your votes.
>
> Since the docs are still work in progress, I decided not to make it an RC release, but I think we are getting there.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrus
>
> [1] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecayenne-200/
> [2] http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.1B2/

+1

This looks pretty good. I like that the docs are just the pdf with the html linking back to the live site which will be potentially more up to date. I looked through the notices, ran RAT (found some tests and xml not covered, but nothing that I think we care about since a lot of it is trivial config files or java which is regenerated). When RAT 0.9 is released with proper exclusions we can make a more rigorous part of our release process.

So this release looks good, but we should probably perform a triage of the tasks in Jira to see which ones need handling (if any before release) and clean up the others.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

On Feb 8, 2013, at 2:46 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:

> Nicely done. Very good time to get this out. I'd like to ask some questions:
>
> 1. Why is the repository folder named the way it is? What doesorgapachecayenne-200 refer to?

This is a semi-opaque unique ID generated by Nexus. This is a temporary staging repo per ASF release procedure doc. Once the vote is complete, these artifacts are propagated to Maven Central, and the temp repo is deleted.

> 2.What are all the things in that folder:
>
> - cayenne-project
> - unpublished (di injection)... why is that in an unpublished folder? I know that comes from the src folder naming, but should that be in the repository?

Unfortunately we have to expose unpublished modules (and cayenne-project that is otherwise packaged inside the Modeler) via Maven for the sake of Cayenne Maven plugins. Maven reorg is certainly in order in 3.2.

> - the tutorials are in a folder called "parents". But the actual Cayenne parent is in a folder called "cayenne-parent"

These I would actually completely exclude from Maven deployment in the future. Also need to check on the pom structure (see Maven reog mention above). All I can remember now is that tutorials needed their own parent, and could not use the common Cayenne parent to stay self-contained and easy to understand by the new users.

> -the top level archetype-catalog.xml is empty

I am not even sure what this file is for. Nexus creates it, it is not ours :)

> 3. What are we reviewing and voting on anyway? The repository items or the items which are built in the usual way and found in p.a.o/~aadamchik?

Per Apache legal requirements, we are voting on http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.1B2/cayenne-3.1B2-src.tar.gz - the source distro only. In practical terms we are voting on all of the above together.

Andrus

Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
Nicely done. Very good time to get this out. I'd like to ask some questions:

1. Why is the repository folder named the way it is? What doesorgapachecayenne-200 refer to?

2.What are all the things in that folder:

  - cayenne-project
  - unpublished (di injection)... why is that in an unpublished folder? I know that comes from the src folder naming, but should that be in the repository?
  - the tutorials are in a folder called "parents". But the actual Cayenne parent is in a folder called "cayenne-parent"
  -the top level archetype-catalog.xml is empty

3. What are we reviewing and voting on anyway? The repository items or the items which are built in the usual way and found in p.a.o/~aadamchik?

Ari Maniatis