Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Konrad Windszus <kw...@apache.org> on 2022/06/15 15:10:53 UTC

Switch to Java 11

Hi,
AFAIK all our Sling bundles still target Java 8. I think for major feature updates we could increase this to Java 11 to leverage the newly introduced features (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/java-11-features-and-comparison/, https://ondro.inginea.eu/index.php/new-features-in-java-versions-since-java-8/, …)

As official support (except for extended support) for Java 8 from Oracle has expired (https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/java-se-support-roadmap.html) I think it is time now to do the shift.
WDYT?

As in general we don’t maintain multiple parallel branches, this would obviously have an impact on all consumers.
Do you know of Sling bundle consumers who cannot update to Java 11 yet?

Thanks for your input,
Konrad

Re: Switch to Java 11

Posted by Ashok Pelluru <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

As a first step: at least we can make sure bundles should run with 8 and 11 together

Regards,
Ashok

Re: Switch to Java 11

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2022-06-15 at 13:02 -0700, Eric Norman wrote:

> > I think it is time now to do the shift.
> > WDYT?
>

> +1, though java 11 only has active support until Sep 2023, so we may
> need
> to begin thinking about the path toward java 17

I agree, we should be Java 17 ready. FWIW, we 'ship' the Starter Docker
image with Java 17.

As for the builds, the biggest blocker is migrating to a recent enough
parent pom. I have been running builds locally with Java 17 by default
for some time and the only additional problem that I have seen is
PowerMock being incompatible with Java 16+ [1].

Thanks,
Robert

[1]: https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/1094

Re: Switch to Java 11

Posted by Eric Norman <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Switch to Java 11

Posted by Jörg Hoh <jh...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
+1

Am Mi., 15. Juni 2022 um 17:10 Uhr schrieb Konrad Windszus <kwin@apache.org

--
Cheers,
Jörg Hoh,

https://cqdump.joerghoh.de
Twitter: @joerghoh

Re: Switch to Java 11

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2022-06-15 at 17:10 +0200, Konrad Windszus wrote:
> Hi,
> AFAIK all our Sling bundles still target Java 8. I think for major
> feature updates we could increase this to Java 11 to leverage the
> newly introduced features
> (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/java-11-features-and-comparison/,
> https://ondro.inginea.eu/index.php/new-features-in-java-versions-since-java-8/
> , …)
>
> As official support (except for extended support) for Java 8 from
> Oracle has expired
> (https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/java-se-support-roadmap.htm
> l) I think it is time now to do the shift.
> WDYT?
>
> As in general we don’t maintain multiple parallel branches, this
> would obviously have an impact on all consumers.
> Do you know of Sling bundle consumers who cannot update to Java 11
> yet?

Disclaimer: not speaking with my Adobe hat on, just tried to infer
information from publically available sources.

The Adobe technical support period docs [1] say that AEM 6.3 and 6.4
are out of 'core support' but into 'extended support'. AEM 6.5 is still
supported.

AEM 6.4 only supports running on Java 8 [2]. I can't find the
documentation for 6.3, but it's very unlikely that it will support Java
11. AEM 6.5 supports both Java 8 and 11[3] .

With that, I am cautiously optimistic that AEM is not a blocker for
switching to Java 11.

There are still some technical blockers to moving to Java 11 by
default, mostly projects using old parent poms, see SLING-8728 [4].

We have been chipping at this issue for some time, and Ashok has
recently started migrating more projects, but there is still some work
to do.

Thanks,
Robert

[1]: https://helpx.adobe.com/support/programs/eol-matrix.html
[2]:
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-64/deploying/introduction/technical-requirements.html?lang=en#java-virtual-machines
[3]:
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/deploying/introduction/technical-requirements.html?lang=en#java-virtual-machines
[4]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-8728

Re: Switch to Java 11

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Wednesday, 15 June 2022 17:10:53 CEST Konrad Windszus wrote:
> Hi,
> AFAIK all our Sling bundles still target Java 8. I think for major feature
> updates we could increase this to Java 11 to leverage the newly introduced
> features (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/java-11-features-and-comparison/,
> https://ondro.inginea.eu/index.php/new-features-in-java-versions-since-java
> -8/, …)
>
> As official support (except for extended support) for Java 8 from Oracle has
> expired
> (https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/java-se-support-roadmap.html) I
> think it is time now to do the shift. WDYT?

Commons Crypto and Commons Messaging Mail are already on 11.

+1

O.