Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2007/02/09 01:04:53 UTC

log4net graduation, log4php retirement, Logging Services bylaws

In a mad rush to make it look like we were busy in the three months
since the last board report, I'd like to try to resolve log4net and
log4php's status as well and try to streamline the Logging Services
bylaws (aka guidelines).  Most of that discussion and all of the fun
debates will be on general@logging.apache.org, but wanted to solicit
advice and participation.

log4net appears to be healthy and ready to join Logging Services as a
subproject.  log4php appears to be dormant (I've pinged the original
author and am waiting for a status update) and would be nice to find
it a good final resting place.  I would appreciate any guidance
(check list?) on driving the process forward either here or on
general@logging.apache.org.

I've already started a thread on eliminating or simplifying the
Logging Services bylaws (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-
logging-general&m=117095930231054&w=2).  I thought I saw an thread
here that suggested that project level bylaws or guidelines were
unnecessary, but could not find it in the archives.  Any other
references or guidance would be appreciated, but it would be most
helpful to join the discussion on general@logging.apache.org.

Re: log4net graduation, log4php retirement, Logging Services bylaws

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 9, 2007, at 7:49 AM, Yoav Shapira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2/8/07, Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
>> In a mad rush to make it look like we were busy in the three months
>
> LOL ;)
>
>> log4net appears to be healthy and ready to join Logging Services as a
>> subproject.
>
> Excellent.  The log4net developers should start up a vote saying
> they're ready for graduation, and the Logging Services PMC should have
> one to essentially confirm what you're saying above: that the LS PMC
> is ready, willing, and able to accept log4net as a subproject.

Will move on that.

>> log4php appears to be dormant (I've pinged the original
>> author and am waiting for a status update) and would be nice to find
>> it a good final resting place.
>
> Agreed that it's dormant.  It's been discussed briefly in the past.
> What do you think about Noel's idea in
> http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-
> general&m=116698445306354&w=2
> ?

Sounds like a good idea.  Once the appropriate place has been set up,
all that would be needed is a svn mv to move log4php from under repos/
logging to repos/incubator and the update logging.apache.org.  Will
start a vote on general@logging.apache.org to terminate the podling.

Re: log4net graduation, log4php retirement, Logging Services bylaws

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2/8/07, Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
<snip>
>> I've already started a thread on eliminating or simplifying the
>> Logging Services bylaws (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-
>> logging-general&m=117095930231054&w=2).  I thought I saw an thread
>> here that suggested that project level bylaws or guidelines were
>> unnecessary, but could not find it in the archives.  Any other
>> references or guidance would be appreciated, but it would be most
>> helpful to join the discussion on general@logging.apache.org.
>
> I could swear I saw such a message here as well, essentially saying
> Bylaws are for the Foundation itself, and projects should have
> Guidelines as they see fit, which may mean very little Guidelines
> outside the ASF's own general ones.  The Logging Services two-stage
> release approval thing has got to end ;)

I remembered this, too, and found this after a little searching:
http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg11758.html

--Thilo

Re: log4net graduation, log4php retirement, Logging Services bylaws

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 2/8/07, Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> In a mad rush to make it look like we were busy in the three months

LOL ;)

> log4net appears to be healthy and ready to join Logging Services as a
> subproject.

Excellent.  The log4net developers should start up a vote saying
they're ready for graduation, and the Logging Services PMC should have
one to essentially confirm what you're saying above: that the LS PMC
is ready, willing, and able to accept log4net as a subproject.

> log4php appears to be dormant (I've pinged the original
> author and am waiting for a status update) and would be nice to find
> it a good final resting place.

Agreed that it's dormant.  It's been discussed briefly in the past.
What do you think about Noel's idea in
http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=116698445306354&w=2
?

> I've already started a thread on eliminating or simplifying the
> Logging Services bylaws (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-
> logging-general&m=117095930231054&w=2).  I thought I saw an thread
> here that suggested that project level bylaws or guidelines were
> unnecessary, but could not find it in the archives.  Any other
> references or guidance would be appreciated, but it would be most
> helpful to join the discussion on general@logging.apache.org.

I could swear I saw such a message here as well, essentially saying
Bylaws are for the Foundation itself, and projects should have
Guidelines as they see fit, which may mean very little Guidelines
outside the ASF's own general ones.  The Logging Services two-stage
release approval thing has got to end ;)

Yoav