Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> on 2020/03/02 10:37:12 UTC

proposition on release preparation process and vote

Hi folks,

  I wonder if we can change the release process in the following way:

For each Vote candidate:
Synchronization of all bits (of course sources are mandatory) maven
artefacts, installers (certified)
--
A vote with everything inside with asking after normal check
(licence+checksum) for example which installer on which os.

If source is wrong because of license, vote will be cancelled so we have to
regenerate everything. Was done for 11.3 not a big deal just time until we
got a fix.

If everything in source is ok, then will go for normal tally with one PMC
vote per installer minimum. If I analyze on 11.3 it's only +1 or +0. So if
11.3 vc1 license has been ok we would have save 72h.

We lost a certification per non valid voting candidate (not sure how much it
cost)

If tally conduct to a release with an installer weird, if tally cover, just
release. And fix only the wrong installer.

Best  Regards
Eric

RE: proposition on release preparation process and vote

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
In the case of an all in one vote we may ask to that PMC to check installer in an os and we ensure the 3 are covered
Minimum voting is 3 PMC if the three cover each OS (PMC are not supposed to get all 3 OS )

On the 3 installer vote you need for a particular OS 3 PMC with that particular OS.
This is more demanding. (9 people with same rule as above to get all the installer)

Best Regards
Eric

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Well we vote 72h for sources (+maven + binaries) in one go.
We vote for another 72h for installers.
That's 144h until release announcement.

Except the sources not well done leading to vote cancellation. (LICENSE / NOTICE issue)

 the rest is tally. If an installer does'nt work (for a particular os jdk )  we don’t care and it can be released in the all package if tally is major +1.

That's 72h until release announcement.

Best Regards
Eric
> A vote with everything inside with asking after normal check
> (licence+checksum) for example which installer on which os.

I'm slightly confused what you're suggesting?  But if it's one vote thread for everything, including installers, then definitely -1.
Otherwise, I don't see what's different to what we've already been doing?!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: proposition on release preparation process and vote

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Agree too.

Gj