Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mubarak Esmail <me...@notes.manchester.gov.uk> on 2003/04/14 10:59:10 UTC

Help!

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-LE-jdk14

I've successfully installed the j2se j2sdk1.4.1_02

I've added the following system environment variables;
   CATALINA_HOME = c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-LE-jdk14
   JAVA_HOME = c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02
   Path = c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02\bin

I'm running win2k server and have removed IIS services incase there is a
port clash for port 80.  Also the server is a standalone pc so doesn't have
any of the internet setting set.  Every time I go to the
http://localhost:8080/ I get the standard page cannot be displayed.
If I try to run the startup.bat file the command window pops up for a split
second them disappears so I can't see any of the errors.

I've read the install instructions on both the jdk and tomcat, i've also
looked the following sites and nothing has worked;
http://www.moreservlets.com/Using-Tomcat-4.html#Java-Home
http://www.jspin.com/home/tutorials

I'm new to java and jsp so please keep that in mind for your response
Please help!!

Thanks & Regards

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Please contact internet.administrators@notes.manchester.gov.uk
with any queries.

Re: Help!

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
First, Tomcat by default does not use port 80, thus there is no "port
clash" with IIS unless the default Tomcat configuration was changed after
installing.

Since you are reporting that Tomcat conflicted with IIS, I can only surmise
that 1) you changed the default configuration in server.xml and this is
causing your problems, or 2) there really wasn't a conflict with IIS.

In any case, if you avoid startup.bat and instead use:

catalina.bat start

you should be able to see more error messages in the console window.  Also,
always check the catalina.out log file in Tomcat's logs directory.

John