Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by socke <so...@web.de> on 2006/01/25 23:48:03 UTC

basic question about batic!

hi friends,

i have just one basic question:

i have developed an applet that uses the batik library. the classes are only using the following libraries

org.apache.batik.dom.svg.*;
org.apache.batik.swing.JSVGCanvas;
org.apache.batik.util.*;
org.w3c.dom.*;

in the html page were the applet runs i use the following code:

<applet code ="AppletApplication.class" width = 750 height = 650 archive = "batik.jar,batik-rasterizer.jar,batik-  slideshow.jar,batik-squiggle.jar,batik-svgpp.jar,batik-ttf2svg.jar,batik-awt-util.jar,batik-bridge.jar,batik-css.jar,batik-dom.jar,batik-ext.jar,batik-extension.jar,batik-gui-util.jar,batik-gvt.jar,batik-parser.jar,batik-script.jar,batik-svg-dom.jar,batik-svggen.jar,batik- swing.jar,batik-transcoder.jar,batik-util.jar,batik-xml.jar,js.jar,pdf-transcoder.jar,xerces_2_5_0.jar,xml-apis.jar">
</applet>

when i leave one jar out, which i didnt use in my application, the applet dose'nt run!

so my basic question is: is it always necessary to include all jars of the batik library even when i think i dont need em?

i think about this because the batik jars have together nearly 5 MB and because of this the applet loads very very long

Thanks!

Steve

Re: basic question about batic!

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Steve,

sockensoldat@web.de wrote on 01/25/2006 05:48:03 PM:

> i have developed an applet that uses the batik library. the classes are
only
> using the following libraries
[...]
> so my basic question is: is it always necessary to include all jars of
the
> batik library even when i think i dont need em?

   If you don't need them you don't need to include them, but there are
nested dependencies.  Please examine the following URL for a summary
of jar file dependencies:

        http://xml.apache.org/batik/install.html#jarFiles

> i think about this because the batik jars have together nearly 5 MB and
> because of this the applet loads very very long

        Yes, you would probably be better off using something like
Java WebStart that will cache jars on the clients...