Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Mazza, Glen R, PERSCOM" <Gl...@hoffman.army.mil> on 2002/08/19 19:53:35 UTC

rowbreaks in tables

Hello,

I'm trying to "faithfully" reproduce the layout of an older fixed-width text
document whose header looks like this:

title1    title2    title3
(empty row)
(empty row)
title4    title5    title6

I did this fine in my header by defining two separate tables, with a
space-before optimum of 2em defined on the lower table.  But creating two
tables in a header seems like overkill.  However, creating one table with a
couple of empty <fo:table-row/> tags in-between doesn't work, because the
empty rows collapse.

Another option is to place "space-before optimum" within the fo-block of
each cell:

<fo:table-cell><fo:block
space-before.optimum="2em">title4</fo:block></fo:table-cell>
<fo:table-cell><fo:block
space-before.optimum="2em">title5</fo:block></fo:table-cell>
<fo:table-cell><fo:block
space-before.optimum="2em">title6</fo:block></fo:table-cell>

This also works but appears awkward and non-standard.

Basic question:  What's the ideal/correct way to force a row-break in a
table?  Is it indeed to create two separate tables?

Thanks,
Glen

Re: rowbreaks in tables

Posted by Noel Golding <no...@spearreport.com>.
have you tried creating an empty row like this?

<fo:table-row>
    <fo:table-cell>
        <fo:block>&#160;</fo:block>
    </fo:table-cell>
</fo:table-row>

Re: rowbreaks in tables

Posted by Amerin Szulr <pr...@yahoo.com>.
Hope this would work
 <fo:table-body>
 <fo:table-row>
          <fo:table-cell border-width="0.5mm"   border-   style="solid"       padding="6pt">
   <fo:block text-align="center">Title 1</fo:block>
 </fo:table-cell>
 <fo:table-cell border-width="0.5mm"   border-style="solid"
 padding="6pt">
   <fo:block text-align="center">title 2</fo:block>
 </fo:table-cell>
  <fo:table-cell border-width="0.5mm"   border-style="solid"
 padding="6pt">
   <fo:block text-align="center">Title 3</fo:block>
 </fo:table-cell>

      </fo:table-row>
 <fo:table-row>
  <fo:table-cell border-width="0.5mm"  number-columns-spanned="3"
   border-style="solid"            padding="6pt">
    <fo:block>  </fo:block>
  </fo:table-cell>
   </fo:table-row>
 <fo:table-row>
  <fo:table-cell border-width="0.5mm"  number-columns-spanned="3"
   border-style="solid"
   padding="6pt">
    <fo:block>  </fo:block>
  </fo:table-cell>
 </fo:table-row>
       <fo:table-row>
          <fo:table-cell border-width="0.5mm"   border-style="solid"
 padding="6pt">
   <fo:block text-align="center">Title 4</fo:block>
 </fo:table-cell>
 <fo:table-cell border-width="0.5mm"   border-style="solid"
 padding="6pt">
   <fo:block text-align="center">title 5</fo:block>
 </fo:table-cell>
  <fo:table-cell border-width="0.5mm"   border-style="solid"
 padding="6pt">
   <fo:block text-align="center">Title 6</fo:block>
 </fo:table-cell>
       </fo:table-row>
 </fo:table-body>
 "Mazza, Glen R, PERSCOM" wrote:Hello,

I'm trying to "faithfully" reproduce the layout of an older fixed-width text
document whose header looks like this:

title1 title2 title3
(empty row)
(empty row)
title4 title5 title6

I did this fine in my header by defining two separate tables, with a
space-before optimum of 2em defined on the lower table. But creating two
tables in a header seems like overkill. However, creating one table with a
couple of empty tags in-between doesn't work, because the