Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Craig Berry <Cr...@portblue.com> on 2003/07/14 05:39:02 UTC

html:options list source question

After much googling and head-scratching, I finally have an html:options tag working on a jsp.  The problem is that I don't know why one component of the solution is needed, and I was hoping someone can explain it to me.

My ActionForm subclass, EditDeForm, has a pair of methods to provide the option list as part of the form bean:

		public Collection getNumFmtOptions() {
		  ArrayList list = new ArrayList();
		  list.add(new LabelValueBean("None", "0"));
		  list.add(new LabelValueBean("Comma separated", "1"));
		  list.add(new LabelValueBean("Currency", "2"));
		  return list;
		}

		public void setNumFmtOptions(Collection options) {
		  // No op, here to satisfy bean-ness.
		}

The jsp page contains an html:form section linked via action mapping to the EditDeForm type.  In it, there is a select/options section that looks like this:

		        property="value"
		        labelProperty="label"/>

I had thought that this would be enough to make it work.  The html:options is in the context of an html:form that knows about the current form bean, and the form bean has a property numFmtOptions that contains what is needed to populate the options list.  But when I tried just this, I got a "cannot find bean" error on numFmtOptions.

The googling mentioned above finally revealed that I had to add this at the top of my jsp:

		<bean:define id="numFmtOptions"
		        name="editDeForm"
		        property="numFmtOptions"
		        type="java.util.Collection"/>

My question is:  Why?  What is this additional definition for?  What information does it supply that isn't already available to html:options inside the html:form context?

I'm happy that I have my code working, but I'd be even happier if I knew why it's working. :)

--
Craig Berry
Principal Architect