Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Vipul Rahane <vr...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/27 18:38:12 UTC

Unifying Newtmgr (NMP) protocol and MCUmgr (SMP) into the MCUmgr repo

Hello fellow developers :-)

So, Miguel and I have been working on unifying Newtmgr into the MCUmgr repo
(https://github.com/apache/mynewt-mcumgr). There are no protocol level
changes, since MCUmgr(SMP) and Newtmgr(NMP) were the same and so,
everything should work off the bat for everybody.

The PRs related to this change are:
1. https://github.com/apache/mynewt-core/pull/1917
2. https://github.com/apache/mynewt-mcumgr/pull/27
3. https://github.com/apache/mynewt-nimble/pull/577

We have also added a transient package for backwards compatibility. So,
this should be a fairly smooth transition for everybody.

Details about the change:

   - Replace newtmgr with SMP and MCUmgr
   - The change addresses issue #1871
   <https://github.com/apache/mynewt-core/issues/1871>
   - Make stats, logs and img_mgmt work with MCUmgr
   - Make default group commands work with MCUmgr
   - Add transient packages for backwards compatibility
   - Update apps to have the updated dependencies
   - Add syscfgs for MGMT commands Eg: CONFIG_MGMT, STATS_MGMT, LOG_MGMT,
   etc
   - Make OICMGR use OMP from MCUmgr
   - Transition from Newtmgr -> SMP
   - Remove cborattr and update cborattr in MCUmgr
   - Fix builds for log version 2
   - We are also removing support for log_fcb_slot1 since it is not really
   used by the community or any modules in the core repo.
   - Updating mynewt port of MCUmgr
   - Adding Stats, Logs, datetime and other default commands support to
   MCUmgr
   - Changing mgmt_group_register() in MCUmgr so that it allows
   re-registration of command groups
   - Fix dependency and build issues in MCUmgr for mynewt port and apps
   - Adding support for log version 3 and image hash changes
   - Adding support for image management lazy erase
   - Adding support for config mgmt
   - Updating cborattr in MCUmgr to have similar support as mynewt-core
   - Fix unit tests and add some more for cborattr just like in mynewt-core
   - Change log_mgmt to use fragmenting so that an entry can be divided
   into smaller chunks while reading.
   - Fix mynewt port of os_mgmt
   - Add changes for backwards compatibility
   - Add sample app: omp_svr for trying out OICMGR over BLE/Serial
   - Fix reboot_log for soft resets

Some more stuff that would follow after this change would be:
1. Release version for MCUmgr
2. Unifying MCUmgr tool

Also, there were a lot of fixes that got in as part of this effort in the
MCUmgr repo. I do encourage everybody to try it out.

Vipul Rahane

Re: Unifying Newtmgr (NMP) protocol and MCUmgr (SMP) into the MCUmgr repo

Posted by Christopher Collins <ch...@runtime.io>.
Hi Vipul,

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 12:42:51PM -0700, Vipul Rahane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While making the changes for MCUmgr, we came across nmgr_uart which is a
> predecessor of nmgr_shell. So far, from what I gather, the functionality is
> the same except for the fact that shell can bring in other code which can
> increase the code size a bit.
>
> As a solution I was suggesting removing nmgr_uart and transitioning to
> smp_shell as part of the MCUmgr changes.
>
> What does the community think about it and does anybody have issues with it.
>
> This question was raised as the CI did not catch errors with smp_uart and
> nothing really uses it in the mynewt ecosystem. I am looking for .a quick
> turn around on this question, so, any input would be fine. Thanks.

If it isn't being used anymore, then I see no problem with removing it.

I think the old serial boot loader used to use this package.  Now that
we have switched to mcuboot, there is nothing that depends on it.

It looks like mcuboot's serial boot loader just implements its own
minimal newtmgr server and UART transport.

So I say go ahead and remove it :).

Chris

Re: Unifying Newtmgr (NMP) protocol and MCUmgr (SMP) into the MCUmgr repo

Posted by Vipul Rahane <vr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marko,

Not a problem. I re-added smp_uart and fixed the build. Thanks.

Posted by marko kiiskila <ma...@runtime.io>.

Posted by Vipul Rahane <vr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by will sanfilippo <wi...@runtime.io>.

Posted by Vipul Rahane <vr...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

> [...]

>    - Adding support for log version 3 and image hash changes
>    - Adding support for image management lazy erase
>    - Adding support for config mgmt
>    - Updating cborattr in MCUmgr to have similar support as mynewt-core
>    - Fix unit tests and add some more for cborattr just like in
>    mynewt-core
>    - Change log_mgmt to use fragmenting so that an entry can be divided
>    into smaller chunks while reading.
>    - Fix mynewt port of os_mgmt
>    - Add changes for backwards compatibility
>    - Add sample app: omp_svr for trying out OICMGR over BLE/Serial
>    - Fix reboot_log for soft resets
>

> Some more stuff that would follow after this change would be:
> 1. Release version for MCUmgr
> 2. Unifying MCUmgr tool
>
> Also, there were a lot of fixes that got in as part of this effort in the
> MCUmgr repo. I do encourage everybody to try it out.

Vipul Rahane