Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by St...@ubs.com on 2004/09/23 12:54:30 UTC

Opening fop pdf in Internet Explorer

Hi,

I have a process that creates a PDF through FOP and stores it in Documentum (a document management service). When a user wishes to view the PDF it is streamed back via a servlet into IE, but IE cannot open it and the user is presented with a blank screen.

To get around this we have to send it to a windows box and open and save it in acrobat and then stream it back.

Our HTTP header includes the content type and length.

Does anyone know why the fop only version does not open?

thanks,

Stuart

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.

Re: Opening fop pdf in Internet Explorer

Posted by John Burgess <jo...@riskdecisions.com>.
Is the servlet accessed by HTTPS?  If so there is a bug in IE that will
prevent it opening pdf's (or any other plug-in requiring mime type) if "Do
NOt Save Encrypted Pages to Disk" is selected.

We came across this problem recently.  We were sent a Knowledge base report
and managed to find a work-around but I don't have the details to hand.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Sep 23, 2004, at 3:54 AM, Stuart.Yoxall@ubs.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a process that creates a PDF through FOP and stores it in
> Documentum (a document management service). When a user wishes to view
> the PDF it is streamed back via a servlet into IE, but IE cannot open
> it and the user is presented with a blank screen.
>
> To get around this we have to send it to a windows box and open and
> save it in acrobat and then stream it back.
>
> Our HTTP header includes the content type and length.
>
> Does anyone know why the fop only version does not open?
>
> thanks,
>
> Stuart

Can you confirm that you've checked the FAQ[1] and that the problem
isn't discussed here[2]? Thanks!

Web Maestro Clay

[1]
http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html