Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Alan Woodward <al...@flax.co.uk> on 2016/02/29 21:08:50 UTC

Master branch and java version

Just in case anybody else out there runs into this, I was having problems compiling master earlier using Java 1.8.0_25, due to the compiler not liking an immediate assignment to a final variable in TSTLookup.java.  Upgrading to 1.8.0_74 made the problem go away.

Re: Master branch and java version

Posted by Alan Woodward <al...@flax.co.uk>.
Yes, I vaguely remember seeing something about it before - mainly I just wanted to put something on the list in case anybody else got weird compiler errors from code that was happily passing Jenkins tests!  Thanks for double-checking, anyway.

Alan Woodward
www.flax.co.uk

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
FYI,

this is the bug:

 <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8051958> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8051958

This happened because I converted the UTF-16-Comparator to a lambda while moving it away from Core’s BytesRef to TSTLookup.

Anyways, the code now reads much better and it is similar to other comparators (like the original one in BytesRef).

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen

Posted by Alan Woodward <al...@flax.co.uk>.
Yup, that fixes it.  Thanks Uwe!

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.

http://www.lucidworks.com <http://www.lucidworks.com/>

Posted by "david.w.smiley@gmail.com" <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Varun Thacker <va...@gmail.com>.
I also ran into the same problem. I was using 1.8.0_31 . Upgrading worked
though.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 3:19 AM, Alan Woodward <al...@flax.co.uk> wrote:

> common.compile-core:
>     [javac] Compiling 1 source file to
> /Users/woody/asf/lucene-solr-trunk/lucene/build/suggest/classes/java
>     [javac]
> /Users/woody/asf/lucene-solr-trunk/lucene/suggest/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/suggest/tst/TSTLookup.java:79:
> error: cannot assign a value to final variable aStop
>     [javac]       aStop = aUpto + a.length;
>     [javac]       ^
>     [javac]
> /Users/woody/asf/lucene-solr-trunk/lucene/suggest/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/suggest/tst/TSTLookup.java:81:
> error: cannot assign a value to final variable aStop
>     [javac]       aStop = aUpto + b.length;
>     [javac]       ^
>     [javac] 2 errors
>
> Compiles under 1.8.0_74, gives this error for 1.8.0_25
>

> On 29 Feb 2016, at 21:38, Uwe Schindler wrote:
>
> Can you post the error? I touched that code yesterday. Maybe I broke that.
> It would still be good to fix this.
>
> Uwe
>
> Am 29. Februar 2016 21:08:50 MEZ, schrieb Alan Woodward <al...@flax.co.uk>:
>>
>> Just in case anybody else out there runs into this, I was having problems
>> compiling master earlier using Java 1.8.0_25, due to the compiler not
>> liking an immediate assignment to a final variable in TSTLookup.java.
>> Upgrading to 1.8.0_74 made the problem go away.
>>

> --
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, 28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de