Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Elijah Jacobs <el...@hotmail.com> on 2002/02/04 17:33:20 UTC

cannot find tag library

Hi all,

I am using Tomcat 4.01; Windows 2000 ; Struts v1.0

I created a tag which displays a message on the screen.  I followed the
basic layout of the example that came with struts.  by "layout" I mean:

1. I created a tag under the /classes directory.  this time I put it right
under the /classes directory so I didn't need to deal with package names.
2. I added the tag in the app.tld (which is right under /web-inf)
3. On my jsp page, I reference the TLD file and gave it a prefix "app" (just
like the example).
    <%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/app.tld" prefix="app" %>

when I do " <app:hello /> " in my JSP page (Bid.jsp) I get:

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\work\localhost\blank\bid$jsp.java:143:
Class org.apache.jsp.HelloTag not found.
                  HelloTag _jspx_th_app_hello_0 = new HelloTag();
                  ^

I am not sure why it's looking for my HelloTag under org.apache.jsp when I
put it on the /classes directory.  I have other Java files right under the
/classes directory and Tomcat 4.0.1 was able to find them - although they
were not custom tag file, but that shouldn't matter, right?

thanks in advance,
- ej -

p.s. below are parts my app.tld and web.xml files and the rest of the error:
========    app.tld ================
  <tag>
    <name>hello</name>
    <tagclass>HelloTag</tagclass>
    <bodycontent>empty</bodycontent>
  </tag>

========    web.xml ================
  <taglib>
    <taglib-uri>/WEB-INF/app.tld</taglib-uri>
    <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/app.tld</taglib-location>
  </taglib>

========    error message ================

type Exception report

message Internal Server Error

description The server encountered an internal error (Internal Server Error)
that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

An error occurred at line: 14 in the jsp file: /bid.jsp

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\work\localhost\blank\bid$jsp.java:143:
Class org.apache.jsp.HelloTag not found.
                  HelloTag _jspx_th_app_hello_0 = new HelloTag();
                  ^

An error occurred at line: 14 in the jsp file: /bid.jsp

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\work\localhost\blank\bid$jsp.java:143:
Class org.apache.jsp.HelloTag not found.
                  HelloTag _jspx_th_app_hello_0 = new HelloTag();
                                                      ^
2 errors

	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java, Compiled
Code)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:546)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspSe
rvlet.java:177)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:189)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:382)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java, Compiled
Code)
	at
FilterChain.java:247)
	at
ain.java:193)
	at
va:243)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
va:201)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java,
Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:164
)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
	at
java:170)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170
)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java,
Compiled Code)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
:163)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.java,
Compiled Code)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java,
Compiled Code)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

Re: cannot find tag library

Posted by Elijah Jacobs <el...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Max,

that worked great.

- ej

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: cannot find tag library

Posted by Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>.
Elijah,

Try giving your tag handler class a proper package name and put that in the
app.tld file.

-Max

> I am using Tomcat 4.01; Windows 2000 ; Struts v1.0
>
> I created a tag which displays a message on the screen.  I followed the
> basic layout of the example that came with struts.  by "layout" I mean:
>
> 1. I created a tag under the /classes directory.  this time I put it right
> under the /classes directory so I didn't need to deal with package names.
> 2. I added the tag in the app.tld (which is right under /web-inf)
> 3. On my jsp page, I reference the TLD file and gave it a prefix "app"
(just
> like the example).
>     <%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/app.tld" prefix="app" %>
>

> when I do " <app:hello /> " in my JSP page (Bid.jsp) I get:
>
> Generated servlet error:
> C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\work\localhost\blank\bid$jsp.java:143:
> Class org.apache.jsp.HelloTag not found.
>                   HelloTag _jspx_th_app_hello_0 = new HelloTag();
>                   ^
>
> I am not sure why it's looking for my HelloTag under org.apache.jsp when I
> put it on the /classes directory.  I have other Java files right under the
> /classes directory and Tomcat 4.0.1 was able to find them - although they
> were not custom tag file, but that shouldn't matter, right?
>
> thanks in advance,
> - ej -
(SNIP)