Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2006/06/22 16:18:03 UTC

automated builds (was: Re: [general] Produce updated snapshots in time for ApacheConEU?)

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
<snip>
>> The problem, AIUI, is that we are only building Windows/Linux 32-bit
>> code at the moment, and there is no ASF infrastructure where we can host
>> automated builds on those platforms.
>
> And I don't think we'll ever have that as we want in terms of diversity.
>    We can get something going at some point, but I really feel that
> making it easy for anyone to just checkout the build/CI/test
> infrastructure and run it would give us lots of eyes and lots of
> diversity (this is the core of the testing/build discussion we started a
> while ago)

Anyone can checkout the code today and invoke the build / test target
from a build machine.  What infrastructure were you thinking of?

I meant access to the build machines directly so you can look at build
history, access old builds, test results, etc.

>> IBM are running continuum builds regularly on Win/Lin 32, but it is not
>> ideal since (a) people cannot login to IBM machines and tweak/download
>> the automated builds, and (b) for some unknown reason the build reports
>> don't make it through to the commit list.
>
> The do.  Just not huge ones.  There's a size limit on the list.

What is the limit?

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [general] Re: automated builds

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
try it - I set it to 330k max now (I asked Mark)

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Tim Ellison wrote:
> <snip>
>>> The problem, AIUI, is that we are only building Windows/Linux 32-bit
>>> code at the moment, and there is no ASF infrastructure where we can host
>>> automated builds on those platforms.
>> And I don't think we'll ever have that as we want in terms of diversity.
>>    We can get something going at some point, but I really feel that
>> making it easy for anyone to just checkout the build/CI/test
>> infrastructure and run it would give us lots of eyes and lots of
>> diversity (this is the core of the testing/build discussion we started a
>> while ago)
>
> Anyone can checkout the code today and invoke the build / test target
> from a build machine.  What infrastructure were you thinking of?

We want to set up something broader than that.

You should go re-read what I wrote, but the recap is to start another
peer 'subproject' called 'testing' or something, from which you can
checkout a complete configuration that uses whatever we choose
(continuum right now) to do automated checkout, build and test of
everything, including end to end testing, stress testing, TCK when we
get it, etc.

Just checkout, do a minor configure, and get out of the way :)

This will allow anyone in the community to run the identical setup, on a
wider variety of platforms than ever possible to host at the ASF, etc.

We'll still eventually get something going at the ASF that uses this,
but the focus should be on the configuration, rather than the place
where it is done.

I'd then guess we'd have all those machine reporting breakage, and keep
a tally of the OS version, platforms, etc that people are using to test.

> I meant access to the build machines directly so you can look at build
> history, access old builds, test results, etc.

While I'm sure we'll be doing some builds here, I'd like to "spin the
perspective" so that we get a 'testing community' started around a
common configuration.