Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bruno Mannina <bm...@free.fr> on 2012/08/22 16:57:21 UTC

Solr memory: CATALINA_OPTS in setenv.sh ?

Dear users,

I try to know if my add in the setenv.sh (which I need to create because
it didn't exist) file has been set but when I click on the link Java
Properties on Admin Solr web page
I can't see the variable CATALINA_OPTS.

In fact, I would like to know if my line added in the file setenv.sh is ok:
|CATALINA_OPTS=||"-server -Xss7G -Xms14G -Xmx14G $CATALINA_OPTS
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:NewSize=7G -XX:+UseParNewGC"|

my setenv.sh file contains only this line (inside /usr/share/tomcat6/bin/).

How can I see if memroy is well allocated ?

Other question: is |*-XX:NewSize=7G* is ok?|

I have 24Go Ram (14G ~60%)

Re: Solr memory: CATALINA_OPTS in setenv.sh ?

Posted by Michael Della Bitta <mi...@appinions.com>.
Check your cores' "status" page and see if you're running the
MMapDirectory (you probably are.)

In that case, you probably want to devote even less RAM to Tomcat's
heap because the index files are being read out of memory-mapped pages
that don't reside on the heap, so you'd be devoting more memory to
caching them if you freed it up by lowering the heap.

Michael Della Bitta

Appinions | 18 East 41st St., Suite 1806 | New York, NY 10017
www.appinions.com
Where Influence Isn’t a Game

Posted by Bruno Mannina <bm...@free.fr>.