Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/26 00:30:58 UTC

Name for the directory above solr.home?

Hello,

What do we call the directory above the solr.home?
E.g.
- "schemaless" in example/schemaless/solr/gettingstarted
- "node1" in example/cloud/node1/solr/gettingstarted_shard1_replica_n2
- "solr" in server/solr/book/conf

In solr.in.cmd we "may be" calling it "solr start dir"
In bin/solr, we call it SOLR_SERVER_DIR
In install_solr-service.sh, we sort-of call it SOLR_VAR_DIR "Directory
for live/writable Solr files", which is not quite the same because
apparently pid files go there, while for distribution they seem to go
into bin

I guess it mostly matters when you have multiple Solr instances
running on the same machine and you need to separate log locations,
etc.

Regards,
  Alex.

Re: Name for the directory above solr.home?

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
coreRootDirectory!

If it takes a relative path, I am good with that. Great even.

We can update default solr.xml and fix documentation/whatever. The
rest of the files can go in solr.home.

Updated SIP-10 as primary path to explore for layout.

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. server/solr should be server/solrhome (or not in server, but
"solrhome"). I wasted 20 minutes trying to figure the
"example/example-DIH/solr/solr/conf/" path.

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
> I really wish the default cores dir was not solr.home itself but one directory beneath.
Why? That is worth exploring.

I am ok - if others are - with solr.home containing
*) solr.in.sh
*) configset
*) logs
*) log and related configuration
*) userfiles
*) filestore
*) solr.xml
*) actual cores

However, this feels to me like it makes the cores crowded and -
potentially - interferes/slows-down the recursive core discovery
mechanism. A lot of directories to stat potentially.

But moving cores from under solr.home is a LOT of updates I suspect in
Solr, documentation and 3rd party solutions. To me, I would formally

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
I feel that maybe we don't treat it special mentally, but then it
actually is. At least with minimum custom locations configured.

Consider:
1) What is in "server", above "server/solr"
* resources/log4j2.xml (because of magic jetty classpath mechanism)
* logs
* NOT server/solr/configsets (but probably should be to avoid
confusion with recursive core searching algorithm or just people
trying to understand what those directories are)
2) What is in "example/schemaless"
* logs (because of hardcoded magic in bin/solr)
* NOT log4j2.xml, because we simplified it but also lost an ability to customize
3) What is in "example/cloud/node1"
* logs (same magic)

From other discussions, if you try to reproduce examples outside of
the example directory, they will log to the global log directory and
mess with each other, unless you pass on an individual log directory
location for each bin/solr command.

I am wondering if the example above solr.home should be the place we
try to check for:
1) logging configuration (or override that latest log4 seems to support)
2) logs
3) configsets available to that node
4) maybe solr.in.sh

This would certainly make example setups easy and less magical.

I don't know if this is the right answer. I specifically don't know if
this will mess up cloud setups. But I see a pattern that is

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.