Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Eric Medlock <er...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/12 21:32:21 UTC

Hello all

My name is Eric Medlock. I'm interested in seeing how
I could help out on the Avalon Phoneix project. I have
experience in Java, JSP, Perl, C/C++, Linux, Unix,
etc. I know I've got a lot of
work to do in order to get up to speed and begin
contributing but it would be very helpful to know a
few things, such as:
A) How intense is current development?
B) What do you recommend that I study "first" or
rather what are the most important technical
skills/etc. that I should know in order to be able to
help.
C) Anything else you think I need to know.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to joining in as soon
as I can.

Eric Medlock

Re: Hello all

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 07:32, Eric Medlock wrote:
> My name is Eric Medlock. I'm interested in seeing how
> I could help out on the Avalon Phoneix project. I have
> experience in Java, JSP, Perl, C/C++, Linux, Unix,
> etc.

welcome

> I know I've got a lot of
> work to do in order to get up to speed and begin
> contributing but it would be very helpful to know a
> few things, such as:
> A) How intense is current development?

depends on when you ask. SOmetimes changes are very rapid while at other
times it is slower. Some parts are "hot" while others are relatively stable
and haven't changed much in a year (or two in some cases).

> B) What do you recommend that I study "first" or
> rather what are the most important technical
> skills/etc. that I should know in order to be able to
> help.

read Berins developers guide at first then possibly go through the phoenix
web pages. After that just start playing with things and ask questions ;)
Find a part you want to do or want to help with and just dig in.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Hello all

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Eric Medlock wrote:

> A) How intense is current development?

>From the perspective of an "outsider" extremely intense. These guys are
writing code faster than I can learn to use it :-)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: Hello all

Posted by Eric Medlock <er...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was
looking for. And, I would be interested in assisting
with your DB project. Give me some more info on it or
tell me what docs to read...

Eric Medlock

Re: Hello all

RE: Hello all

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi,
>Ideally, start learning with Avalon in conjunction with something that uses it.
>Perhaps something in Cornerstone's apps directory. The docs are severely
>lacking in examples, so at first it's hard to see "what it's good for". Also,
>if you have any questions, ask :) You're in good company.. half of us are
>newbies pretending otherwise ;) The other half are deeply knowledgable, which
>makes participating in this project very educational.
I'm definitly a newbie. But here I learned to develop and not to hack. Just
jump in and don't get frustrated. The claim is high, but that's good so!

But I recommend following docs to read:
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/developing/index.html to get in touch
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/guidelines.html

Stay tuned
Gerhard

PS: If you want to do some _extrem_ codeing then take a look at AavalonDB in
Cornerstore project.

Re: Hello all

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 12:32:21PM -0800, Eric Medlock wrote:
> My name is Eric Medlock. I'm interested in seeing how
> I could help out on the Avalon Phoneix project.

Welcome! :)

> I have
> experience in Java, JSP, Perl, C/C++, Linux, Unix,
> etc. I know I've got a lot of
> work to do in order to get up to speed and begin
> contributing but it would be very helpful to know a
> few things, such as:
> A) How intense is current development?

On what scale? Probably best just to watch the CVS logs (on the
jakarta-avalon-cvs list) and judge for yourself. Watching commit logs is also a
good way to find out what areas are "active". If you're not subscribed, there's
a link at http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html

> B) What do you recommend that I study "first" or
> rather what are the most important technical
> skills/etc. that I should know in order to be able to
> help.

Have you read the "Developing with Avalon" paper?

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/developing/index.html

(please make a point of reading it in PDF, as Berin went to much effort to
generate that;)

> C) Anything else you think I need to know.

Ideally, start learning with Avalon in conjunction with something that uses it.
Perhaps something in Cornerstone's apps directory. The docs are severely
lacking in examples, so at first it's hard to see "what it's good for". Also,
if you have any questions, ask :) You're in good company.. half of us are
newbies pretending otherwise ;) The other half are deeply knowledgable, which
makes participating in this project very educational.

--Jeff