Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> on 2016/10/07 19:40:07 UTC

Skimming m2.conf

Hi folks,

what purpose serves "set maven.home default ${user.home}/m2" in
${maven.home}/bin/m2.conf [1]?

As far as I understood the parser of Plexus Classworlds, it sets the
value if it is not present in the system properties. In my opinion,
there is no sense in here. I have removed -Dmaven.home from bin/mvn and
Maven immediately crashed because and of course there is no m2 home in
my home. Only the startup script shall set this.

According to configuration-management.apt, it seems to be a relic from
Maven 1, at most 2.

I removed the line and ran all ITs. All passed.

I'd like to file an issue and wipe that out.

Any objections?

[1]
https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/38300cf2832e9a40198091aa9e0bf6d3dbc3268d/apache-maven/src/bin/m2.conf#L3

Michael