Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alec Kloss <al...@oracle.com> on 2008/09/12 15:10:37 UTC

Getting working copy information in Subversion pre-commit hook?

I suspect this would require a client change, but it would be
really handy to be able to get the client's idea of repository URL
and repository root from inside a pre-commit hook.  It would allow
the error message returned to the client to provide correct local
filesystem paths and/or URLs into the repository.  The client has
the data handy (it's exactly what svn info shows) and as far as I
can tell, there's no reliable way to compute it on the server.

Thoughts?

--
Alec.Kloss@oracle.com			Oracle Middleware
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x432B9956

Re: Getting working copy information in Subversion pre-commit hook?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 12, 2008, at 10:10, Alec Kloss wrote:

> I suspect this would require a client change, but it would be
> really handy to be able to get the client's idea of repository URL
> and repository root from inside a pre-commit hook.  It would allow
> the error message returned to the client to provide correct local
> filesystem paths and/or URLs into the repository.  The client has
> the data handy (it's exactly what svn info shows) and as far as I
> can tell, there's no reliable way to compute it on the server.
>
> Thoughts?

You're right, the server has no idea what working copy you committed
from. There's no way to do this. I doubt that's going to change
either because there's really no need for the server to know. And the
user hopefully already knows what working copy they're in.