Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Patrick Rhomberg <pr...@apache.org> on 2018/10/12 22:32:45 UTC

[Discuss] Where should simple classes for tests belong?

Hello, all!

  There are a number of classes that require some number of "toy" classes
as part of their testing framework, e.g., to be used as custom data
containers.  Many of these classes involve testing or use of the `deploy
jar` command, and so are packaged into jars for this purpose.
  In an effort to promote good coding habits and, as importantly, consensus
throughout this community and our codebase, I would like to ask which of
these are considered the preferred method to maintain these additional
classes.
  I realize a priori that none of these options will be applicable in all
cases, but am curious of how the prioritization of these options are
ordered among you all.

-- Class definition --
For definition of the classes consumed, we observe all of the following in
the Geode codebase.

Option C-1:  Toy classes are defined as a proper class in a reasonable
package.
-- suboption (a): The class is defined in the module in which it is
consumed, as a resource.  [1]
-- suboption (b): The class is defined in the module in which it is
consumed, as a neighboring file.  [2]
-- suboption (c): The class is defined in geode-dunit or geode-junit.  [3]

Option C-2:  Toy classes are defined as inner classes of the test class.
[4]

Option C-3:  Sufficiently small toy classes are defined as raw String
fields in the test class that consumed it and is compiled by the test JVM
via the JavaCompiler class.  [5]

-- Resource exposure --
For those tests that require classes placed in Jars for use in the `deploy
jar` command, we observe the following in the Geode codebase:

Option J-1: Jars are a resource and are built or downloaded as necessary
during the build steps, before test execution. [6]

Option J-2:  Sufficiently small classes that are defined as raw String
fields in the test class that consumes it (C-3 above) are packaged into
resources via the JarBuilder class. [7]

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Imagination is Change.
~Patrick Rhomberg

Examples:
[1]
geode-core_test/resources:org.apache.geode.management.internal.deployment.ConcreteExtendsAbstractExtendsFunctionAdapter.java
is found by the FunctionScannerTest to be a user-defined function.
[2]
geode-core_distributedTest:org.apache.geode.internal.cache.SerializableMonth
defines a simple DataSerializable containing an int for the month, to be
consumed by *.MonthBasedPartitionResolver
in PRCustomPartitioningDistributedTest.
[3] geode-junit_main:org.apache.geode.cache.query.transaction.Person
defines a simple DataSerilazable container class for a String name and int
age.
[4]
geode-core_distributedTest:java.org.apache.geode.internal.statistics.StatisticsDistributedTest$PubSubStats
is consumed by its parent class
[5]
geode-assembly_acceptanceTest:org.apache.geode.management.internal.cli.commands.PutCommandWithJsonTest
defines a Customer class in a raw string in the test's @Before method.
[6] See our own consumption of geode-dependencies.jar et al via the
StartMemberUtils.java, or our historic consumption of tools.jar
[7] See again [5] or other uses of the JarBuilder class.

Re: [Discuss] Where should simple classes for tests belong?

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@apache.org>.
+1 to what Jens & Jinmei & Kirk have said. It is far easier to have a
local definition of the "toy" classes.

Yes, it makes the code base "larger" and most good editors would flag it
as duplicate code, BUT it is about localization and making sure that one
can easily see what classes are part of a test and what its definition is.

In addition to this, having a set of "toy" definition lying around
means, that as more tests use these classes, the test scenario
inevitably starts seeping into the toy classes, eventually causing
copies of these classes to be made in any case, as the original does not
meet the requirement of the new test.

--Udo

Posted by Jinmei Liao <ji...@pivotal.io>.

--
Cheers

Jinmei

Re: [Discuss] Where should simple classes for tests belong?

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
What I think is important is that any java code should be in a Java source
file that is compiled as part of a build. Don't put java source or bytecode
in as resource or as a constant.

For testing deploy jar I thought what Helena and I ended up doing in
StartServerCommandDUnitTest worked pretty well - build a jar from a class
on the classpath:

File jar = temporaryFolder.newFile(jarName);
new ClassBuilder().writeJarFromClass(RunOutOfMemoryFunction.class, jar);

-Dan