Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Prakash <pr...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/14 20:56:15 UTC

stunnel and zookeeper and timeouts

I am running a 3 cluster setup where the zookeeper connections (both client
- server and server - server ) run through stunnel. Stunnel has an idle
timeout setting, where if it sees a connection that is idle (default 12
hours) it tries to close it. I see that for the server to server, there are
two ports/connections configured in zookeeper. One for followers to be
connected to the leader and a separate one for leader election.

My question is, after the cluster is bought up, and leader election is
done, is there any activity (keep-alive etc) on the leader election
connections, if things are operating normally?

If not, i am worried stunnel will try to close this port as there is no
activity.

Thanks,
-Prakash

Re: stunnel and zookeeper and timeouts

Posted by Matt Wise <ma...@nextdoor.com>.
I am actually curious about how you setup the stunnel-to-stunnel connections between the servers. Do you literally have individual stunnel connections on every single host to every other host ? ie..

hostA:2000 -> hostB:3888
hostA:2001 -> hostC:3888
hostB:2000 -> hostA:3888
hostB:2001 -> hostC:3888
hostC:2000 -> hostA:3888
hostC:2001 -> hostB:3888

I'm mainly curious how you run this operationally ... it seems rather complicated. In our case we use stunnel between our Zookeeper clients and the Servers -- but since the Zookeeper quorum is all in one Amazon Region, we just leverage security groups for the inter-server-communication.

--Matt

(ps, stunnel+zookeeper does work amazingly well on the client-side of things. we've been extremely happy with that model)

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.