Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Karl Hennig <kh...@baynote.com> on 2012/04/21 00:14:17 UTC

Feedback on real world production experience with Flume

I am investigating automated methods of moving our data from the web tier into HDFS for processing, a process that's performed periodically.

I am looking for feedback from anyone who has actually used Flume in a production setup (redundant, failover) successfully.  I understand it is now being largely rearchitected during its incubation as Apache Flume-NG, so I don't have full confidence in the old, stable releases.

The other option would be to write our own tools.  What methods are you using for these kinds of tasks?  Did you write your own or does Flume (or something else) work for you?

I'm also on the Flume mailing list, but I wanted to ask these questions here because I'm interested in Flume _and_ alternatives.

Thank you!

Re: Feedback on real world production experience with Flume

Posted by Chen He <ai...@gmail.com>.
Can the NFS become the bottleneck ?

Chen

Posted by Bill Graham <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1 on Edward's comment.

The MapR comment was relevant and informative and the original poster never
said he was only interested in open source options.

billgraham@gmail.com going forward.*

Re: Feedback on real world production experience with Flume

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by alo alt <wg...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "M. C. Srivas" <mc...@gmail.com>.
Karl,

Posted by alo alt <wg...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

in my former job:
productive, Germany, Web portal. Throughput 600 mb/minute. Logfiles from Windows IIS, Apache. Used in a usual way, no own decorators or sinks. Simply syslog -> bucketing (1 minute rollover) -> hdfs splitted into minutes (YYYYMMDDHHMM).

Stable, some issues (you'll found on the mailing list), but works well if you know what is to do when anything will happen. Btw, NG 1.1.0 is more stable as flume pre 1.x and runs in some productive environments.

- Alex

--
Alexander Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com