Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by alundgren <an...@fciconnect.com> on 2007/06/18 20:27:56 UTC

! Tomcat 500 error NEED HELP!

I've installed apache-tomcat-6.0.10 and jdk1.5.0_12

I've set the ENV variables:

_RUNJAVA = %JAVA_HOME%\bin\java
_RUNJAVAC = %JAVA_HOME%\bin\javac
_RUNJAVAW = %JAVA_HOME%\bin\javaw
_RUNJDB = %JAVA_HOME%\bin\jdb
CATALINA_HOME = d:\apache-tomcat-6.0.10
CLASSPATH = d:\Servlets+JSP;d:\java\jdk1.5.0_12
JAVA_HOME = d:\java\jdk1.5.0_12
PATH = d:\java\jdk1.5.0_12\bin;d:\apache-tomcat-6.0.10\bin

The server starts fine, but even http://localhost/ returns a 500 error

JSPs were running fine a few days ago but I must have changed something and
in trying to fix it I've changed much more, so now I have no idea. I've put
the JARS withing lib also within lib/common for both java and tomcat. Trying
accuracy through volume, please someone help me!

Here is the error for localhost:

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory.getJspApplicationContext(Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspApplicationContext;
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:274)

Here and error from a JPS page that used to run fine:

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP:

Stacktrace:
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:85)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:330)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler.generateClass(JDTCompiler.java:415)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:308)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:286)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:273)
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:566)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:308)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:320)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:266)

Please any ideas welcome, thanks!
-Andrew

Re: ! Tomcat 500 error NEED HELP!

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Ha, life is easy same answer again.... you see because the server allows you
to change JSP pages, they are only compiled when needed, by tomcat itself,
so if a jsp has an error, it only crashed when its first used.

So, to force a compile, right click on each JSP page and compile it, now if
there is an error, the IDE will take you to it.
Probably just left out a />

Also when you get it working dont leave those libs in common.... that can
cause very hard to fix problems.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: David Smith [mailto:dns4@cornell.edu]
> Subject: Re: ! Tomcat 500 error NEED HELP!
>
> Two bits of advice:

And a third:

> >CLASSPATH = d:\Servlets+JSP;d:\java\jdk1.5.0_12

Get rid of the CLASSPATH variable; the second part is certainly wrong,
and the first part may be causing the duplicate class problem David S
was pointing out.  Tomcat does not need (or want) CLASSPATH to be set,
but doing so can cause confusion.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: ! Tomcat 500 error NEED HELP!

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Two bits of advice:

1. Be very careful there is only one copy of a jar file in either the
webapp's WEB-INF/lib folder or tomat's lib folder.  You'll get all sorts
of wonderfully horrible experiences if you have multiple copies laying
around where tomcat can find them.  Hopefully you aren't adding any jar
libraries to the Java install folder.  The only ones there should be
those packaged with  the JVM/JDK.

2. Check your logs before where this exception report happens.  There
should be more details on what happened and why.

--David