Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by jinesh <ji...@nuvepro.com> on 2019/07/08 13:50:00 UTC

Advantage of using Nginx

Hi,

I would like to know that is there any advantage in using Nginx for
connection management in Guacamole server setup, like:
1. Better traffic handling over tomcat Thread model.
2. Scope of load balancing features.
3. Better concurrent user management.

Re: Advantage of using Nginx

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 9:50 AM jinesh <ji...@nuvepro.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know that is there any advantage in using Nginx for
> connection management in Guacamole server setup, like:
> 1. Better traffic handling over tomcat Thread model.
> 2. Scope of load balancing features.
> 3. Better concurrent user management.

First, it's important to understand that Nginx does not replace Tomcat, it
proxies in front of it, when used with Guacamole.  Tomcat (or a similar
Java application server) is required because it runs the actual Java apps -
Nginx simply provides a front for that.

The main advantage, in my experience, is easing the task of SSL encrypting
the Guacamole connections.  While this can be done with Tomcat, you either
have to run on a non-standard port, you have to run Tomcat as a root user,
or you have to be running under a recent enough kernel that allows non-root
processes to open privileged ports.  It's usually just easier to use Nginx
or Apache httpd to proxy it.

As far as the issues you asked about above, I've not had any experience
with using Nginx to handle any of those concerns.

Regards,
Nick