Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/22 10:27:53 UTC

offline migration in vmware

devs,

I started a small FS [1] on migrating stopped VMs (and detached volumes) in
vmware. It has no API or UI consequences but some architectural;
I am planning an added method finalizeMigration that returns a list of
commands to send to the resource. The default implementation returns null,
meaning hypervisor migration is not possible. The vmware guru will return
the commands that the resource can use to implement the migration.
For the detached volume migration the copyAsync method of the
VmwareDataMotionStrategy will do the full migration if both source and
target are in the same vmware cluster.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Vmware+offline+migrations

--