Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by zhiwei <zh...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/10 11:25:04 UTC

Questions about Docker related tests in Mesos

Hi all,

The Docker related test cases that hardcoded "alpine" as the Docker image
which caused test cases failed on IBM Power platform, since the Docker
image "alpine" is not compatible with IBM Power platform.

And I saw an inline comment by Timothy: "// TODO(tnachen): Use local image
to test if possible."

So just wonder if someone has plan to implement this, or could you give me
some tips? I can implement this.

Following are the images that used in Mesos test cases:

1. alpine
2. mesosphere/alpine-expect
3. mesosphere/inky
4. mesosphere/test-executor
5. tnachen/test-executor

Thanks,
Zhiwei

Re: Questions about Docker related tests in Mesos

Posted by zhiwei <zh...@gmail.com>.
Currently the architecture field does not used by Docker engine, so the
value amd64 also works on ppc64le platform.

Yes, I saw the image was created locally, but it was not used by docker
containerizer tests.

When I run docker conainerizer tests on ppc64le, it still use the alpine
image from Docker hub which is the amd64 architecture, and the tests still
failed.

So I think if the docker containerizer tests can use the image created in
runtime_isolator_tests.cpp, these test cases will not fail on ppc64le
platform. So can we also make this local docker image for Docker
containerizer testing?

Thanks,
Zhiwei

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Gilbert Song <gi...@mesosphere.io> wrote:

> Sorry Zhiwei, just see your email. Yes, I can do that. Just for curious,
> are you using
> the manifest architecture field in ppc64le?
>
> We already have tests relying on the image created locally. Please see:
> runtime_isolator_tests.cpp
>
> What do you mean by "And could you make it create and load the image
> before
> running Docker related tests"? The local docker image is for unified
> containerizer
> testing. It is irrelevant to any test for docker containerizer.
>
> Cheers,
> Gilbert
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 6:27 PM, zhiwei <zh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gilbert, do you have any updates on about this issue?
>>
>> When will you use the local build Docker image for Docker related testing?
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 9:44 PM, zhiwei <zh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Gibert,
>>>
>>> I tested your patch, it works on ppc64le, but there is an issue that the
>>> architecture in manifest file is hardcode to amd64[1].
>>>
>>> This field is currently not used by Docker engine, but I think you can
>>> enhance it to use `os.uname().machine` [2]. Or I can submit a patch for
>>> this.
>>>
>>> And could you make it create and load the image before running Docker
>>> related tests?
>>>
>>> [1]:
>>> https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/69b2ad528dd79979a8ee113a8edbbab2669e32e6/src/tests/containerizer/docker_archive.hpp#L150
>>> [2]: