Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Ankit Singhal <an...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/14 04:54:11 UTC

[VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.8.0-HBase-1.2 RC0

Hello Everyone,

This is a call for a vote on Apache Phoenix 4.8.0-HBase-1.2 RC0. This is
the next minor release of Phoenix 4, compatible with Apache HBase 1.2.
The release includes both a source-only release and a convenience binary
release.

This release has feature parity with our other pending 4.8.0 releases and
includes the following improvements:
- Local Index improvements[1]
- Phoenix hive integration[2]
- Namespace mapping support[3]
- Many VIEW enhancements[4]
- Offset support for paging queries[5]
- 100+ Bugs resolved[6]
- Many performance enhancements(related to StatsCache, distinct, Serial
query with Stats etc)

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/phoenix/phoenix-4.8.0-HBase-1.2-rc0/src/

The binary artifacts can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/phoenix/phoenix-4.8.0-HBase-1.2-rc0/bin/

For a complete list of changes, see:
*https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12334393&projectId=12315120
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12334393&projectId=12315120>*

*https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/ankit.asc
<https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/ankit.asc>*

KEYS file available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/phoenix/KEYS

The hash and tag to be voted upon:
*https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=phoenix.git;a=commit;h=c90232fbfaaf8e847703a2be3f5d147b976e2138
<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=phoenix.git;a=commit;h=c90232fbfaaf8e847703a2be3f5d147b976e2138>*
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=phoenix.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/v4.8.0-HBase-1.2-rc0

Vote will be open until at least, Mon, Jul 18th @ 5pm PST. Please vote:

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Thanks,
The Apache Phoenix Team

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-1734
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-2743
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-1311
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-1508
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-2722
[6] *https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/filter=12337975#
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/filter=12337975#>*

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.8.0-HBase-1.2 RC0

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Sure thing, James. Will resume in the morning when fresh. Exhausted most
of my weekend motivations :)

Honestly, fixing the tracing UI for the source release should be very
simple. Pretty much need to copy the info from my first note into LICENSE.

I'm still mulling over whether or not I want to suggest scraping the
"binary" release until licensing issues are addressed (oops, I guess I
spoiled the secret). I'm having a really hard time trying to suggest a
path forward that doesn't involve "hold all releases until licensing is
addressed". Need to mull it over more and talk to some others on the
subject.

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ankit Singhal <an...@gmail.com>.
Canceling this RC , will come up with new RC once LICENSE and NOTICE
issues(PHOENIX-3091) are resolved.

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.8.0-HBase-1.2 RC0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.8.0-HBase-1.2 RC0

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ankit Singhal wrote:
> @Josh, bq.   Bad:
>        * SHA1 xsum is wrong. It looks like complete nonsense to me, but I
> can't find the appropriate xsum in that file (which was
>   64208164580f3467cd2c8b51c0d9f8ac37f0c671)
> ---- In Phoenix , we don't use SHA1 , SHA files has only SHA-512 and
> SHA-256 hashes, so you can use shasum to validate them.

Thanks for the clarification, Ankit. I was confused that there were
multiple lines in the file. It would be nice to be clear in the release
vote email what checksums are being provided so that users can verify
them. If there are official docs on how the release emails are created
(a template somewhere), I'm happy to update that.

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.8.0-HBase-1.2 RC0

Posted by Ankit Singhal <an...@gmail.com>.
@Josh, bq.   Bad:
      * SHA1 xsum is wrong. It looks like complete nonsense to me, but I
can't find the appropriate xsum in that file (which was
 64208164580f3467cd2c8b51c0d9f8ac37f0c671)
---- In Phoenix , we don't use SHA1 , SHA files has only SHA-512 and
SHA-256 hashes, so you can use shasum to validate them.

Now we have three options to go forward with 4.8 release (or whether to
include licenses and notices for the dependency used now or later):-

*Option 1:- Go with this RC0 for 4.8 release.*
       -- As the build is functionally good and stable.
       -- It has been delayed already and there are some project which are
relying on this(as 4.8 works with HBase 1.2)
       -- We have been releasing like this from past few releases.
       -- RC has binding votes required for go head.
       -- Fix license and notice issue in future releases.

*Option 2:- If necessary , Quick fix only the major issues with licenses
for now and do RC1.*
       --  like removing tracing app from distribution
       --  Do the rat-check thoroughly , remove exclusions if there are and
fix the reported issue.
       --  Use License headers for all files(including JS and properties)
       --  Suffix with artifact name with "*apache*
"-(<project_name>-$version.tar.gz)
       --  etc.

*Option 3:- Wait to fix all the LICENSE and NOTICE issues *
         -- I ported the great work done by Sean (for HBase on HBASE-14085
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14085> ) into Phoenix. Need to
add more licenses(for direct and transitive dependencies) as supplement in
supplement-model.xml but  resolving all may take time as experienced by
people worked on it already
         -- Top to bottom analysis of licenses and notice for dependencies
with some review cycles.
         -- Delay release till ported automation discussed above is in
place.

Regards,
Ankit Singhal

I tried porting the great work done by Sean on HBASE-14085
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14085> to fix LICENSE and
NOTICE issue in Phoenix but there are many dependencies(direct or
transitive) which requires proper licensing details to be added

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
A partial prescription:

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mujtaba Chohan <mu...@apache.org>.
+1.

verified binary/src distribution and utests.

Posted by "rajeshbabu@apache.org" <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.