Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Christoffer Soop <cs...@annons.dn.se> on 2000/11/10 11:17:38 UTC

Configuring the ServiceManager and/or the RPCRouterServlet

We are planning to include Apache SOAP in a .war archive.  Preferebly we
would like a service to be pre-deployed in the archive, i.e. the service
should already be deployed when running the archive for the first time.  If
possible we would like to avoid using the command-line tool or the web
interface for deployment at runtime.

Apache SOAP seems to have no service configuration file, although already
deployed services are "persisted" in the DeployedServices.ds file.  Is this
correct?

Possible alternatives seem to be:

1. Having the RPCRouterServlet to read configuration parameters from the
.war deployment descriptor.

2. Having the ServiceManager to read an xml-configuration file during
startup.  In this file the DeploymentDescriptor.xml for the preloaded SOAP
service(s) would be included.  Ideally changes made at runtime should be
saved in this file.  The file should be included as a resource in the .war
archive.

We would either change the source code or use extension.

The first alternative is preferable in terms of how a .war archive is
supposed to be configured but seems a bit unnatural considering the design
of Apache SOAP, at least so far I can tell.  The second alternative is more
natural in terms of the Apache SOAP design, but conflicts with the existing
DeployedServices.ds mechanism.

Any comments, anyone?

	Christoffer Soop

Re: Configuring the ServiceManager and/or the RPCRouterServlet

Posted by Bill Pfeiffer <ws...@tampabay.rr.com>.
If we are voting, I would go with number 2!  I actually looked around for a
good while for such and xml configuration file when I first started playing
with apache soap.  I was pretty surprised when I didn't find one, but
instead found a serailized file off the root of my hard drive!

Is the deployment descriptor xml file provided with the examples a standard?

I'd be real interested in a change that would allow for the initialization
of services from an xml deployment file.  A servlet could be configured to
do this at container startup time.

Bill Pfeiffer