Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2003/10/08 20:31:09 UTC

RE: "Should not be called" error

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Eric Vasilik wrote:
> Your XML is in error.  You are not allowed to define a prefix which
> starts with 'xml'.  The message "Should not be called" is a bug in
> XmlBeans V1 which is masking the correct message you should be getting.
>
> This XML is attempting to redefine the 'xml' prefix.  It may be
> reasonable to allow this and, the parser you are using may be spewing a
> warning and not an error.  DO you have a stack trace associated with
> this message?

	I'm confused -- in the first paragraph, you say the schema is not
allowed to define a prefix starting with XML, but in the second paragraph,
you say that it mgiht be reasonable to allow this.  Is that rule a rule
for all schemas, or a rule from XMLBeans or a rule from an XML parser?  If
it's a documented restriction on Schemas I'll try to get Sun to remove the
offending line from their xsd file, but if it's a product-specific parse
problem then there's probably not much I can do along those lines.

	In any case, there's no stack trace.  When I run the
SchemaCompiler, I get the line 7 error, then "Time to build schema type
system: 0.853 seconds" and then the program exits with a nonzero return
code.  I'm running this from a Maven script which configures itself with
Xerces 2.2.1 as an endorsed JAR, but it forks the SchemaCompiler task so
I'm not sure if the forked VM inherits Xerces or falls back to the
built-in Crimson parser for JDK 1.4 (but I suspect the latter).

	Is there a simple patch I can apply to show the proper error
message instead of "Should not be called"?  In the absence of a maven
distribution, I'm building XMLBeans from source anyway.

Aaron