Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pascal Forget <to...@ubeans.com> on 2002/03/01 19:12:13 UTC

Re: Starting tomcat with a different user

Nelson Yip wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I finally installed tomcat but I want to start up tomcat with a
>different user and not root.
>I created a user called tomcat and I want this user to startup tomcat
>automatically.  What is the best way to do it?

Have Apache run on port 80 and have it delegate requests for JSP pages
and Servlets to
your Tomcat instance which has an AJP13 or Warp connector listening on a
port higher
than 1024.  Since Tomcat will nto be listening on a port numbered 1024
or less, it can
be run by a non-root user.

Pascal