Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org> on 2016/07/27 18:00:55 UTC

disabling crash recovery

Is there any way of disabling the automagic crash recovery?  I'm
attempting to debug a crash and the crash recovery / restart seems to be
confusing gdb.  Just letting SIGSEGV take its natural course of action
would be fine.

Re: disabling crash recovery

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 27 Jul, Marcus wrote:
> Am 07/27/2016 08:00 PM, schrieb Don Lewis:
>> Is there any way of disabling the automagic crash recovery?  I'm
>> attempting to debug a crash and the crash recovery / restart seems to be
>> confusing gdb.  Just letting SIGSEGV take its natural course of action
>> would be fine.
>
> are you looking for this [1]?
>
> [1] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Debugging#gdb_invocation
>
> If not, then I only know the commandline parameter for configure to
> disable this feature when creating a new build.

The crashdump knob gave me a basic stack trace, but it wasn't really
enough information to debug the issue.  I ended up having to make the
one-line source change to that page to disable SIGSEGV interception in
order to get a core file and point gdb at that.  Unfortunately, gdb on
FreeBSD gets seems to get confused by thread switching and usually locks
up even before I can trigger the crash.  I only managed to capture the
crash once with gdb running a live process.

For fun, try configuring a build with --enable-debug and
--enable-dbgutil.  Lots of pop-up assertion failure alerts ...

Re: disabling crash recovery

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 27 Jul, Marcus wrote:
> Am 07/27/2016 08:00 PM, schrieb Don Lewis:
>> Is there any way of disabling the automagic crash recovery?  I'm
>> attempting to debug a crash and the crash recovery / restart seems to be
>> confusing gdb.  Just letting SIGSEGV take its natural course of action
>> would be fine.
>
> are you looking for this [1]?
>
> [1] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Debugging#gdb_invocation

That's definitely helpful.

> If not, then I only know the commandline parameter for configure to
> disable this feature when creating a new build.

"handle SIGSEGV stop" was sufficient for me to get start zooming in on
the crash.

Re: disabling crash recovery

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/27/2016 08:00 PM, schrieb Don Lewis:
> Is there any way of disabling the automagic crash recovery?  I'm
> attempting to debug a crash and the crash recovery / restart seems to be
> confusing gdb.  Just letting SIGSEGV take its natural course of action
> would be fine.

are you looking for this [1]?

[1] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Debugging#gdb_invocation

If not, then I only know the commandline parameter for configure to
disable this feature when creating a new build.

Marcus