Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by "Chin, Kenneth (HBO)" <Ke...@hbo.com> on 2013/10/22 04:35:40 UTC

Apache Traffic Server Hierarchical Caching Question

HI,

I am new to Apache Traffic Server.  I am interested in setting up a Hierarchical Caching environment.  I have read the documentation and as I read it, it states that only parent.config and records.config need to be modified on the child server.  As a test, I am accessing an HTML page on child from a client.  The page is not on the child but exists on the parent.  For some reason, I receive a 404 error.  Is there something that I am missing.

Thanks

Ken

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the addressees.  Any copying, forwarding, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons other than the addressees is not authorized.  This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by return e-mail (including the original message in your reply) and then delete and discard all copies of the e-mail.

Thank you.

Re: Apache Traffic Server Hierarchical Caching Question

Posted by "Chin, Kenneth (HBO)" <Ke...@hbo.com>.
Adam,

Thanks for your config files. This will help. I will let you know what happens.

Ken
--------------------------

Posted by "Adam W. Dace" <co...@gmail.com>.

<Ke...@hbo.com>wrote:

>  Adam,****
>
> ** **
>
> I still need help.  Please send me your configs and I will try them and
> get back to you.****
>
> ** **
>
> Much appreciated.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks****
>
> ** **
>
> Ken****
>
> ** **

Adam W. Dace <co...@gmail.com>

Phone: (815) 355-5848

Posted by "Adam W. Dace" <co...@gmail.com>.

<Ke...@hbo.com>wrote:

>  HI,****
>
> ** **
>
> I am new to Apache Traffic Server.  I am interested in setting up a
> Hierarchical Caching environment.  I have read the documentation and as I
> read it, it states that only parent.config and records.config need to be
> modified on the child server.  As a test, I am accessing an HTML page on
> child from a client.  The page is not on the child but exists on the
> parent.  For some reason, I receive a 404 error.  Is there something that I
> am missing.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks****
>
> ** **
>
> Ken****
>
> ** **

> This e-mail is intended only for the use of the addressees. Any copying,
> forwarding, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons other than the
> addressees is not authorized. This e-mail may contain information that is
> privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please notify us immediately by return e-mail
> (including the original message in your reply) and then delete and discard
> all copies of the e-mail.
>
> Thank you.

Adam W. Dace <co...@gmail.com>

Phone: (815) 355-5848

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On Oct 22, 2013, at 12:14 PM, Chin, Kenneth (HBO) <Ke...@hbo.com> wrote:

> Leif,
>
> I still have an issue.
>
> To simply matters, I am trying to set up a reverse proxy server.  I have 2 servers:  traffic.mytest.com andorigin.mytest.com.   Both servers are running Apache Web Server.  The index page is only on the origin server.  I modified the traffic server as follows:
>
>   remap.config
>
>   map http://traffic.mytest.com  http://origin.mytest.com
>   reverse_map http://origin.mytest.com http://traffic.mytest.com

This doesn't sounds like parent proxying, just normal reverse proxying

Does origin.mytest.com run a web server, like Apache HTTPD ? One guess could be the pristine host header setting in records.config on the Traffic Server. Depending on what your origin expects to see, you have to set this setting properly.

If origin.mytest.com expects to see "Host: origin.mytest.com", then the pristine host header setting should be off (0). If origin.mytest.com expects to see "Host: traffic.mytest.com", then it should be on (1).

Other than that, hard to say. You need to look at logs on both sides, and perhaps run ATS with a tracer (e.g. -T http) to see what it does.

-- Leif

RE: Apache Traffic Server Hierarchical Caching Question

Posted by "Chin, Kenneth (HBO)" <Ke...@hbo.com>.
Leif,

I still have an issue.

To simply matters, I am trying to set up a reverse proxy server.  I have 2 servers:  traffic.mytest.com and origin.mytest.com.   Both servers are running Apache Web Server.  The index page is only on the origin server.  I modified the traffic server as follows:

  remap.config

  map http://traffic.mytest.com  http://origin.mytest.com
  reverse_map http://origin.mytest.com http://traffic.mytest.com

  records.config

  CONFIG proxy.config.reverse_proxy.enabled INT 1

I then stop and start the trafficserver.

On a browser on a client, I enter:

  http://traffic.mytest.com/index.com

I expect the traffic server to make an HTTP request to the origin server and then cache the page on the traffic server.  The traffic server will then server the page to the client.  However, I get and Error 404.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Ken

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.