Posted to users@camel.apache.org by andrew cooke <an...@acooke.org> on 2019/01/28 17:32:45 UTC

JMX, Reading HeapMemoryUsage: Comparable error (altenaative?)

Hi,

I have a specific error I need help with, but I may also be
approaching the problem incorrectly, so more general advice also
appreciated.  Sorry for the length of this email - the questions are
at the end, after all the background data.

(this is all with Camel 2.23.1, OpenJDK 1.8.0_111-b15, CentOS 7.2)

I want to read the local JVM heap usage and write it to a file (the
final task is to write a variety of values for analysis later - the
client has some problem that occurs from time to time and they want
some way of looking back and trying to work out what happened).

I have the following Spring XML config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<beans ...>

    <route>
      <from uri="jmx:platform?objectDomain=java.lang&amp;key.type=Memory&amp;observedAttribute=HeapMemoryUsage&amp;monitorType=gauge&amp;thresholdHigh=0&amp;thresholdLow=0&amp;notifyHigh=True"/>
      <log message="Got something"/>
      <to uri="file:target/messages/dump"/>
    </route>
  </camelContext>

</beans>

The important part is the URI:

  jmx:platform?objectDomain=java.lang&
      key.type=Memory&
      observedAttribute=HeapMemoryUsage&
      monitorType=gauge&
      thresholdHigh=0
      thresholdLow=0&
      notifyHigh=True

This is giving the error (returned as an XML message):

    <MonitorNotification xmlns="urn:org.apache.camel.component:jmx">
      <source>java.lang:name=camel-jmx-monitor-613d8391-408a-4677-9687-afcbf434d7bc</source>
      <message>The observed attribute value does not implement the Comparable interface.</message>
      <sequence>0</sequence>
      <timestamp>1548695162038</timestamp>
      <dateTime>2019-01-28T14:06:02.038-03:00</dateTime>
      <type>jmx.monitor.error.type</type>
      <derivedGauge>null</derivedGauge>
      <observedAttribute>HeapMemoryUsage</observedAttribute>
      <observedObject>java.lang:type=Memory</observedObject>
      <trigger>null</trigger>
    </MonitorNotification>

I suspect this is because the HeapMemoryUsage attribute is of type
javax.management.openmbean.CompositeData.

So, finally, my questions are:

  * How do I access structured data like this?

  * If I just want the values every X seconds, can I just poll for
    values?

  * Should I be doing something else?  Like maybe configuring my own
    notification?  If so, is there some guide for dummies?  And can
    this be automated for monitoring many different valeus?

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: JMX, Reading HeapMemoryUsage: Comparable error (altenaative?)

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I think these JMX monitoring capabilities in the JDK only allows to
monitor JMX attributes that are simple types like numbers, boolean
etc.

So I am not sure if you can do this via
https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/camel-jmx/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/component/jmx/JMXMonitorConsumer.java

with the GaugeMonitor.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: JMX, Reading HeapMemoryUsage: Comparable error (altenaative?)

Posted by andrew cooke <an...@acooke.org>.
Following
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/javax/management/monitor/package-summary.html
I tried to use an observedAttribute value of "HeapMemoryUsage.used",
but this gives the error:

javax.management.AttributeNotFoundException: No such attribute: HeapMemoryUsage.used
    at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.PerInterface.getAttribute (PerInterface.java:81)
    at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MBeanSupport.getAttribute (MBeanSupport.java:206)
    at javax.management.StandardMBean.getAttribute (StandardMBean.java:372)
    at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.getAttribute (DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:647)
    at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.getAttribute (JmxMBeanServer.java:678)
    at org.apache.camel.component.jmx.JMXMonitorConsumer.convertNumberToAttributeType (JMXMonitorConsumer.java:110)

Which seems odd :(

Andrew