Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2016/07/26 17:14:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] JIRA rights for new community members

heya folks,

I'm considering putting up a help wanted[1] for JIRA maintenance work.
Before I do so, I wanted to confirm a few things.

1) resolve / set fix / etc rights for new community members

I know that I got full admin access to JIRA before I was made a
committer (thanks again stack!), but IIRC I had already been making
some contributions at the time. Before I try to draw in new community
members with this kind of work, do folks have any level of interaction
they'd prefer before I grant rights beyond what what give
"contributors" right now?

2) JIRA gardening as contributions

I've been a big advocate of "more than code contributions" counting. I
also do a fair bit of JIRA work, so it's something that I value having
more folks working on.  That said, I don't want to get new folks in
the community working on this only to run into problems getting them
recognition in the larger project. So I'd just like to make sure that
if we had new folks who were consistently doing the work of keeping
our JIRA listings accurate and useful that someone other than me would
consider voting in favor of committer rights. (preferably a couple of
folks :) )

[1]: https://helpwanted.apache.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] JIRA rights for new community members

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
If we have any folks willing and ready to tend our JIRA, I think we should be pleased to give them all the rights on JIRA they need for that at the outset. I assume we are going to provide them guidance and that will especially include a request to not touch fix versions for committed changes. I'm guessing that won't be an issue normally, we would be asking them to search oldest unchanged first or something like that and ping or close unresolved and incomplete issues.

In my opinion would be committers should generate committable changes. Sure, the bit is a way to recognize other contributions in theory, but I think it should remain a functional distinction. There's a baseline trust we all must have in those with privileges. That should be based on observation of fitness to the task at hand. (Committers commit, that's why they have the bit - catchy) Do you think it reasonable to insist on at least attention to our documentation or site in addition to JIRA tending? They can easily be related. Some JIRAs no doubt can be resolved with doc updates. The status of JIRA tending and advice on best practice seem like things that can produce a steady cadence of doc commits.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> heya folks,
>
> I'm considering putting up a help wanted[1] for JIRA maintenance work.

Solicitations made so far for help seem to be pretty effective, better than
I would have supposed.

> Before I do so, I wanted to confirm a few things.
>
> 1) resolve / set fix / etc rights for new community members
>
> I know that I got full admin access to JIRA before I was made a
> committer (thanks again stack!), but IIRC I had already been making
> some contributions at the time. Before I try to draw in new community
> members with this kind of work, do folks have any level of interaction
> they'd prefer before I grant rights beyond what what give
> "contributors" right now?

Blanket rights to someone who just showed up is probably not prudent. Some
interaction is required to build a little trust and to ensure our history
doesn't get wiped whether by accident or otherwise is necessary. At your
discretion Sean.

> 2) JIRA gardening as contributions
>
> I've been a big advocate of "more than code contributions" counting. I
> also do a fair bit of JIRA work, so it's something that I value having
> more folks working on.  That said, I don't want to get new folks in
> the community working on this only to run into problems getting them
> recognition in the larger project. So I'd just like to make sure that
> if we had new folks who were consistently doing the work of keeping
> our JIRA listings accurate and useful that someone other than me would
> consider voting in favor of committer rights. (preferably a couple of
> folks :) )

I can see this as a, unorthodox path to committership.

St.Ack