Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/15 16:46:51 UTC

Roadmap for 3.0

Hi All,

Should we start thinking about 3.0 where the main driver is to formalize a
Core SPI package?

Doing this for 2.8 and break BC in Core would be too disruptive.

Doing this for 2.8 and have a Core class implement a SPI interface where
the SPI interface inherits the old interface would be weird.

Or, should we just keep on going as we have and keep Core BC a moving
target?

We could wait to do more 2.x releases and accumulate more deprecated code
(Builders vs factory methods for example).

Thoughts?

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Roadmap for 3.0

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, agreed on the Java 9 bit. If it's impossible to make 2.x compatible
with Java 9 without making backwards incompatible changes, that might be
the push needed to start planning for 3.0.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Roadmap for 3.0

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
If we have to modify the API to capture the stack information in AbstractLogger I doubt that the multi-version support will help much.

Ralph

Re: Roadmap for 3.0

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Roadmap for 3.0

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

There may be a few more items. Full list is at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1576. Not all of these are necessarily problematic.

Re: Roadmap for 3.0

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
That is a very good point!

Re: Roadmap for 3.0

Posted by Greg Thomas <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Roadmap for 3.0

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I am on the road right now but should have time on Monday to do the 2.7 release.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Roadmap for 3.0

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.

Re: Roadmap for 3.0