Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Kevin Peterson <kp...@biz360.com> on 2009/10/21 00:10:25 UTC

Windows Ruby Client / Gem?

We're using Thrift to allow our Rails front end to talk to HBase. This works
fine on Linux, but most of our front end developers are using Windows.

Is it possible to use Thrift from Windows? Attempting to install with
rubygems did not work. Would Cygwin allow this?

I've found documentation saying that it's possible to run the compiler on
Windows using Cygwin, but that the C++ generated code will not run on
windows. Does this apply to Ruby as well?

To clarify, I don't need to be able to run the Thrift compiler on Windows. I
just need to get the ruby gem to install or something equivalent.

Re: Windows Ruby Client / Gem?

Posted by Kevin Clark <ke...@gmail.com>.
You don't *need* the C extension to run the thrift library. The
compilation might fail, but you should still be able to install the
gem. What's the error?

--
Kevin Clark
http://glu.ttono.us